Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Import and export (10.2.0.1, Linux)
Import and export [message #311148] Thu, 03 April 2008 10:15 Go to next message
plshelp
Hi All,

I am working with a customer database(10.2.0.1) and I applied a few database definition changes to the database(DDL) like adding columns and removing columns. Now I have to test it with the customer's recent production data. If I have to import the production data, that will be only data updates to the existing tables and not full import for the schema. I am not sure how I can do that. Because when I do import with ignore=y, its just adding all the records from the export dump to the existing table which contains records before import.

I would only want to append the records that are not there in the existing table.

I dont have an option to drop the user and import all the data from the production dump because I will lose the data definition changes made to the schema.

I would appreciate any valuable suggestions.

Thank you
Re: Import and export [message #311154 is a reply to message #311148] Thu, 03 April 2008 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You have to follow the same process that your client will have to execute when he will upgrade his application: execute the upgradation script.

If you have none then you have to create one.

Regards
Michel
Re: Import and export [message #311155 is a reply to message #311148] Thu, 03 April 2008 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plshelp
Michel,

I dont quite understand the reply. You mean,the upgradation script for the import of the schema???

We just want to import the recent records to the tables in the schema and not change the data definition. Is it possible to do with the import utility?

Thanks much
Re: Import and export [message #311167 is a reply to message #311155] Thu, 03 April 2008 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
No, you do it the bad way.
You have to import in the old definition then apply the upgradation script to get the new DDL.
Isn't it in this way your client will do it? He will not throw away his data when the application will upgrade, will he? He will not export his data, recreate his schema with your new one and don't know what to do with his previous data, will he?

Regards
Michel
Re: Import and export [message #313086 is a reply to message #311148] Thu, 10 April 2008 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plshelp
Hi Michel,

Unfortunately this is how it works I think. First upgrade the application(meaning change few table definitions in the test database) using the recent production data. Then there will be testing done with QA on this upgraded test database, and after a week or so, the most recent production data has to be imported into this test database and after that this test database will be the live production database.

And now, qa is almost done with their testing and I have to import the production data into this test database. I am still figuring out how I could do that since the table definitions have changed. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Re: Import and export [message #313097 is a reply to message #313086] Thu, 10 April 2008 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Change the process.
This is not because you are not doing it good now that you can't change it.
Reload the old schema, then production data, then upgrade the schema.
This is how it has to be done.

Regards
Michel
Re: Import and export [message #313102 is a reply to message #311148] Thu, 10 April 2008 12:45 Go to previous message
plshelp
Okay.Thanks Michel.
Previous Topic: imp triggers fails
Next Topic: Export for one month
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 04:31:23 CDT 2024