Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Import questions (Oracle 9i Windows Server 2003)
Import questions [message #321315] Mon, 19 May 2008 20:09 Go to next message
jlrosenlof
Hello,

I have been studying Oracle export and import as a means to move some database users to a new system. I have read through Oracle Utilities documentation, several posts on here, and even the very handy import/export FAQ on this forum. I was hoping that I could get the opinions and input from others about the export/import process to help clear some things up.

I have worked a lot with SQL Server and it is very easy to move databases around from one place to another: You just detach the database and reattach it on the new computer. I know that Oracle is a much more robust system and for that, the trade-off seems to be a little bit more complexity. I really like Oracle: there is so much flexibility and so many options, but that can sometimes be confusing/overwhelming Smile The export/import process, at least from the documentation that I have read, seems to be easy if you just want to move some tables around, but when you want to move many different types of objects like tables, indexes, LOB fields, triggers, sequences, etc., I run into things that aren't even covered in the documentation.

For example, I'm trying to move a user, user1 from an 8i database on one computer to a new user, user2 on a 9i database on another computer. When I specify FROMUSER=user1 and TOUSER=user2 as part of the import parameters, the tables, views, and even sequences seem to go correctly into the new tablespace for user2. However, the LOB fields and the triggers can't get created because imp thinks that they should be going into the old tablespace of user1 and since it doesn't exist, it doesn't create them. I tried changing the quota on user2's tablespace to unlimited for user2, as I saw suggested in several posts, but that still did not fix the problem. I haven't been able to find any mention in the documentation about what to do in a case like this. Is there a simple way to say basically, "Take all of user1's objects and put them into user2's schema and tablespace?"

I guess what I wanted to know is if the export/import process is usually this difficult or if I'm missing something? With our customers that use SQL Server, they just give us a backup or a copy of their .mdf/.ldf files and we just restore them or attach them to our SQL Server. I haven't been able to find as smooth a process for Oracle, but I am by no means a guru; I am probably missing something or not understanding how to do something. Once again, I really like Oracle and all of the things that I can do with it; I just sometimes get lost in all of the functionality (if that makes any sense Smile).

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post and for any help/opinions/input that you can give.

Regards,
John
Re: Import questions [message #321351 is a reply to message #321315] Tue, 20 May 2008 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You have to keep in mind that exp/imp are very very old programs that have been patched many times to include new features along the years. LOB was one of these ones. So it does not work very well.

You also have to keep in mind that 8i is a version of the last century and 9.2 is no more supported. I advice you to migrate to 10g or 11g and take profit of the new DataPump (expdp/impdp) tool which can do what you want.

Oracle also provides other features like transportable tablespaces to move objects at physical level (and not logical one like exp/imp).

Regards
Michel
Re: Import questions [message #328621 is a reply to message #321351] Fri, 20 June 2008 18:16 Go to previous message
jlrosenlof
Thanks for the response, Michel. I really appreciate your help and input.

Regards,
Michel
Previous Topic: Data loading by sql loader and trigger is not working
Next Topic: Import Trouble ORA-00942
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 02:41:57 CDT 2024