Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Copying data from SQL Server to Oracle (merged)
Copying data from SQL Server to Oracle (merged) [message #332431] Tue, 08 July 2008 09:07 Go to next message
knapsack3
Hi,

I am planning to copy data from SQL Server 2000 to Oracle databse. This is the scenario:

- There are roughly 8 million records to be copied
- The copying is to be done once in 2 days (due to the business logic, this cannot be avoided)

While I think I can use the migration workbench tool for this, I am not sure if the tool is efficient to handle such a huge volume of records.
I am even thinking of accomplishing this through a .Net or a Java program.

Please suggest ways of doing this via Oracle provided tools.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Migration workbench tool - Efficient? [message #332456 is a reply to message #332431] Tue, 08 July 2008 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
tool is efficient to handle such a huge volume of records.

8 million rows is small. I use about this number of rows for my test on my laptop.

Use Oracle SQL Developer Migration Workbench

Regards
Michel
Re: Migration workbench tool - Efficient? [message #332476 is a reply to message #332456] Tue, 08 July 2008 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
knapsack3
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have been thinking that in a database to database copying, using a program ( written in Java or .Net) as a tool to copy is less efficient and it is always better to do such copying through the common platform which is database.

Can anybody confirm this for the above scenario.

Thanks.
Re: Migration workbench tool - Efficient? [message #334262 is a reply to message #332476] Wed, 16 July 2008 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
knapsack3
Hi,

I saw that the work bench tool can be used only once, per migration.

But my requirement is that this copying of data needs to be done once in every 2 days in which case I think this tool mayn't be a good option.

Any other suggestions.

Thanks.
Copying data from SQL Server to Oracle [message #334288 is a reply to message #332431] Wed, 16 July 2008 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
knapsack3
Hi,

(I had earlier posted this message under Server Administration. but thought this is a better forum for this)

I am planning to copy data from SQL Server 2000 to Oracle databse. This is the scenario:

- There are roughly 8 million records to be copied
- The copying is to be done once in 2 days (due to the business logic, this cannot be avoided)

I initially thought of doing this using the Migration workbench tool, but since this is going to be a recurring job, I couldn't use the Migration workbench tool.
Now I am looking into some other possible way.

Can somebody suggest a good tool for this in Oracle?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Copying data from SQL Server to Oracle [message #334305 is a reply to message #334288] Wed, 16 July 2008 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
- Heterogouns service
- spool in csv and sql*loader/external table

Regards
Michel
Re: Copying data from SQL Server to Oracle [message #334309 is a reply to message #334288] Wed, 16 July 2008 02:45 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
And there is was no reason to start a new topic for the same question.
Read again the previous posts you previously dismissed.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Loading multiple tables from delimited file with SQL*Loader
Next Topic: SELECT INTO OUTFILE ERROR
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 21:07:07 CDT 2024