Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Can we import to another instance on the same box ? (Window 2003 Server, Oracle 10G)
icon5.gif  Can we import to another instance on the same box ? [message #342273] Thu, 21 August 2008 19:04 Go to next message
jren
We have Oracle 10G database running on window2003 server, and we are doing daily full export as backup.

Trying to verify if the full export file working, we install a new instance on the same server, and trying to import everything from the full export file, and failed every time, check the errors in the log file, seems it trying to create databse on the same path as origianl one which is in use, wondering is there a way to import full dump to another instance on the same box ? If yes, how to change the path while importing the dump file ? Thx.
Re: Can we import to another instance on the same box ? [message #342274 is a reply to message #342273] Thu, 21 August 2008 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
A database doesn't have a path. The data files of the tablespaces have them. Post what exactly you really did and what error(s) you really get.

And yes, it is possible, the way I usually do it :

- Create the second instance
- Create the tablespaces in the second instance identical to the tablespaces of the first instance
- Import the dump file

Re: Can we import to another instance on the same box ? [message #342278 is a reply to message #342273] Thu, 21 August 2008 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
jren wrote on Thu, 21 August 2008 20:04
We have Oracle 10G database running on window2003 server, and we are doing daily full export as backup.

If you are not already doing so, I would strongly suggest not relying on export as your only backup mechanism. You should use it as a complement to a physical backup with RMAN or a user-managed backup.
Re: Can we import to another instance on the same box ? [message #342279 is a reply to message #342273] Thu, 21 August 2008 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jren
Thanks, it's working now, i think the problem is that i missed the second step:

- Create the tablespaces in the second instance identical to the tablespaces of the first instance

after i created them at different directory before i import, then it will work.

Thx again.
Re: Can we import to another instance on the same box ? [message #342280 is a reply to message #342273] Thu, 21 August 2008 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jren
Hi, ebrian, what's benefit of RMAN phsical backup over full export dump ? As the business side doesn't asking recovery point of time, they are satisfied with daily backup, so, I fell safe with daily full dump, and saved them to network share, if the box crashed , i am still able to bring it up on another box, so, i don't see why i need RMAN backups, for my understanding, RMAN backups can help to bring database up running on the same instance if you use control file as catalog, i don't know how to use RAMN backup files on seperate box to bring the database up and running if the primary one crashed, can we ? Thx.
Re: Can we import to another instance on the same box ? [message #342285 is a reply to message #342280] Thu, 21 August 2008 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
what's benefit of RMAN phsical backup over full export dump ?

Recovery!
You can't recover with an export, you can just recreate a database and then use dump file to restore.
Time!
Both RMAN backup and restore (without speaking about recovery) are far faster than export/import (unless you have a tiny database).
Block corruption handling!
How do you recover from block corruptions with an export?
And so on and so on.

Regards
Michel
Re: Can we import to another instance on the same box ? [message #342607 is a reply to message #342280] Sat, 23 August 2008 01:52 Go to previous message
Mohammad Taj

what's benefit of RMAN phsical backup over full export dump ?

You can't compare them. becuase EXPORT/IMPORT is not a BACKUP method.

Previous Topic: Data file not loaded into proper sequence.
Next Topic: Database Import
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 17:10:05 CDT 2024