Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » ASM DiskGroup Fails to Mount (Oracle 10.0.2.4, Red Hat Linux 5)
ASM DiskGroup Fails to Mount [message #342481] Fri, 22 August 2008 08:21 Go to next message
cs02lk1
Hi to all,

I am rather new to ORACLE technology and I am already in deep water Smile.
I would really appreciate some help from you guys.
The situation is as following:
We have a VMWare ESX setup with two Linux VMWare machines. VMRAC1 and VMRAC2. RAC was installed with ASM successfully. The databases were created and our system worked just fine.

After a month we run out of space (due to archive logs most probably) and the system stopped functioning. At the same time VM Machines got filled with traces and it caused the whole system to shutdown because the local storage became full as well.

After deleting all the traces to free some space on the virtual machines we managed to start the linux machines and the CRS services. Regarding the ASM instance it cannot mount the Diskgroup with error that disk 2 is missing. After a search I have found out that disk 2 is disk VOL7 which was not found by oracleasm utility.
I went through the partitions and found out that the partition mapped to VOL7 was not listed there so I went and recreated it. I issued an oracleasm createdisk for VOL7 and now oracleasm listdisks can find it.
When i try to mount the diskgroup I keep getting the error.
A select on v$asm_disk shows that now VOL7 is not disk 2 but has a number of disk 5. And it seems that mount is looking for disk 2 and cannot find it.

Is there a way to redirect mounting of Diskgroup to stop looking for disk 2 and ignore the disk so that i can mount the diskgroup and start my database?

Any help would be appreciatged

Thank you very much

Re: ASM DiskGroup Fails to Mount [message #342496 is a reply to message #342481] Fri, 22 August 2008 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Is this issue reproducible event after CSS / System reboot?
Post the relevant portions in alert log and any trace files associated.
Re: ASM DiskGroup Fails to Mount [message #344606 is a reply to message #342481] Sat, 30 August 2008 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sonumalhi
I went through the partitions and found out that the partition mapped to VOL7 was not listed there so I went and recreated it.

Did you formatted the disk and assigned again.
If you have reformatted then probably it has removed the Metadata from the header of the disk
Also can you check

select name,header_status from v$asm_disk where name=' ';

Mehtab.

Re: ASM DiskGroup Fails to Mount [message #344607 is a reply to message #342481] Sat, 30 August 2008 23:51 Go to previous message
sonumalhi
Also what kind of redundancy you are using for diskgroup
External,Normal,High
Previous Topic: Not able to view ASM disks in OUI during ASM instance configuration
Next Topic: ASM cold backup
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:07:45 CDT 2024