Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Cannot find user when importing an oracle export file? (Oracle 10g)
Cannot find user when importing an oracle export file? [message #346792] Tue, 09 September 2008 13:09 Go to next message
togakangaroo
Basically there is a nightly job that we have running the oracle export utility on one of our databases. I want to check some data in the database as it was a week ago so I am trying to crack open that backup and import one of the users into a newly created user on our test system but am getting the following error:

C:\TEMP>imp system/mypassword@TESTDBTNS file=backup.dmp touser=IMPORTUSER fromuser=EXPORTUSER

Import: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Tue Sep 9 12:46:53 2008

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to: Oracle Database 10g Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production

Export file created by EXPORT:V10.01.00 via conventional path
    import done in WE8MSWIN1252 character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character set
    export client uses WE8ISO8859P1 character set (possible charset conversion)
    IMP-00034: Warning: FromUser "EXPORTUSER" not found in export file
    Import terminated successfully with warnings.

Now the export is very simple, it is done by running a batch file containing the following line

exp system/mypassword@LOCALDBTNS file=c:\temp\backup.dmp log=c:\temp\backup.log owner=(EXPORTUSER,EXPORTUSER2) statistics=NONE

I have done this exporting and importing to user before if not with this exact combination of machines can anyone clue me into whats gong on?

As an additional clue, the export file is at 87 megabytes - significantly larger than the size of my typical export but so I at least know that there is something in there (EXPORTUSER2 is tiny by the way, mostly only has a few types in it)
Re: Cannot find user when importing an oracle export file? [message #346795 is a reply to message #346792] Tue, 09 September 2008 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Maybe the EXPORTUSER does not exist in source database.
Check your export logs.
Also, preferably do import using the the same version used to export (in your case, the lower version).
Re: Cannot find user when importing an oracle export file? [message #346799 is a reply to message #346795] Tue, 09 September 2008 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
togakangaroo
That's the thing though, perhaps I should have mentioned it. EXPORTUSER definitely existed in the source database.

1) The source is a production database and EXPORTUSER is what everything runs off of, if it didn't exist then nothing would be working.
2) The backup file is enormous, so clearly something went in there.

If anyone knows of a way to check the contents of the dump file though I'm all ears.

As for the difference in versions, thats an odd one too. I am looking at the utility on the source machine right now and its version is definitely 10.2.0.1.0
Re: Cannot find user when importing an oracle export file? [message #346800 is a reply to message #346799] Tue, 09 September 2008 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
togakangaroo
Oh good lord, they gave me the wrong file, nevermind!
Re: Cannot find user when importing an oracle export file? [message #346801 is a reply to message #346799] Tue, 09 September 2008 13:28 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> If anyone knows of a way to check the contents of the dump file though I'm all ears.
Use import options
show=y log=somefile.sql

along with a full import (instead of fromuser/touser).
This will simulate the import process (nothing will be imported actually) and everything will be reported in somefile.log.
check the log for presence of user.

>>1) The source is a production database and EXPORTUSER is what everything runs off of, if it didn't exist then nothing would be working.
Proof?
Check the source database.
Previous Topic: Import: Can we estimate the size needed for UNDO tablespace
Next Topic: SQL Loader Problem after Migration from 9.2.0.7 to 10.2.0.3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 14:17:23 CDT 2024