Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Is there a max number of mins for DELAY parameter? (10gr2)
icon5.gif  Is there a max number of mins for DELAY parameter? [message #353404] Mon, 13 October 2008 14:18 Go to next message
todis
We are running 10gr2 and we currently have scripts set up to switch our two standby's from read only/recover mode. We now need to change one standby to be in recover mode all the time but delay the application of the logs. I plan on using the DELAY parameter:

SQL> ALTER SYSTEM SET LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2='SERVICE=stdby_srvc DELAY=60';

My question is if there is a max value for this parameter. All the notes I read talk about 30mins, four hours, etc. My manager wants it set to 72 hours. Will this work or is the delay too long? The manual states the following:

"The time interval
(expressed in minutes) starts when the archived redo log files are successfully archived
at the standby site."

I'm wondering if 72 hours is too long and I'm kind of unclear as to how the time interval works. Does the "timer" reset itself every time a new log file is successfully transferred? If so will the standby ever apply the logs if it is receiving them on a consistent basis and it's delayed 72 hours? Has anyone used a delay setting this high?

we're on 10.2.0.4 on Solaris 10u5, SPARC

Thanks in advance.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 October 2008 14:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is there a max number of mins for DELAY parameter? [message #353427 is a reply to message #353404] Mon, 13 October 2008 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
It is basically unlimited, but you have to weigh the delay encountered for applying the redo during a failover. The time starts when the redo data is successfully transmitted to and archived at the standby site.
Re: Is there a max number of mins for DELAY parameter? [message #353656 is a reply to message #353404] Tue, 14 October 2008 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
todis
So does the clock reset every time the standby receives a datafile? I guess I'm unclear on the part "The time starts when the redo data is successfully transmitted to and archived at the standby site." Sorry--I'm a newbie. Thanks
Re: Is there a max number of mins for DELAY parameter? [message #353710 is a reply to message #353656] Tue, 14 October 2008 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Valid questions.

The delay is specific for EACH archive log sent and therefore, the time starts once the file is successfully archived on the standby.
Re: Is there a max number of mins for DELAY parameter? [message #353711 is a reply to message #353710] Tue, 14 October 2008 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
todis
so essentially there is a timer set for EACH archive log and that log will not be applied until the timer runs out correct? I thought there was one timer for all the log files. What you said makes sense...
icon14.gif  Re: Is there a max number of mins for DELAY parameter? [message #353712 is a reply to message #353404] Tue, 14 October 2008 16:27 Go to previous message
todis
That makes sense..Thank you very much!
Previous Topic: Switchover
Next Topic: data guard...!!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:59:08 CDT 2024