Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » DATABASE ANALYZE ISSUE (Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 /HP_UX)
DATABASE ANALYZE ISSUE [message #353466] Tue, 14 October 2008 00:21 Go to next message
jesuisantony
Hi,

I tried to analyze an Oracle database and got the below mentioned error message. No idea as how to get rid of this. Let me know if there is any workaround.

SQL> EXEC DBMS_STATS.gather_database_stats;
BEGIN DBMS_STATS.gather_database_stats; END;

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-29913: error in executing ODCIEXTTABLEOPEN callout
ORA-29400: data cartridge error
KUP-04063: unable to open log file EXT_TBL_EMP_5165.log
OS error No such file or directory
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_STATS", line 9375
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_STATS", line 9857
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_STATS", line 10041
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_STATS", line 10134
ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_STATS", line 10114
ORA-06512: at line 1

SQL> exit
Disconnected from Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
JServer Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
Re: DATABASE ANALYZE ISSUE [message #354134 is a reply to message #353466] Thu, 16 October 2008 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jesuisantony
Please help on this....
Re: DATABASE ANALYZE ISSUE [message #354151 is a reply to message #354134] Thu, 16 October 2008 10:48 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
The error that you are getting is usually seen when you attempt to access an external table for which Oracle lacks write access at the operating system level to the default directory that the associated log file is created in. If it is trying to access an external table named ext_tbl_emp for which no log file has been specified, then it will attempt to create a default log file in the defalut directory adding some number and .log like ext_tbl_emp_5165.log. Such a table might be created without error, but only produce an error when you try to select from it or access it in some other way. If you try to execute dbms_stats.gather_table_stats on an external table, it produces an error that you cannot use it on external tables. When you use dbms_stats.gather_database_stats it should be automatically skipping external tables. However, I am running 11g, so there may have been something different in 9i. The only thing that is certain is that your problem is associated with a table named ext_tbl_emp. Look for that table. If it was just some test that you can do without, then you can just drop it. Otherwise, if it is something that you need, then try selecting from it and see what you get, check the associated privileges for writing to the default directory, and make sure that the user executing dbms_stats has the same privileges. You might save the syntax for recreating the external table, drop it, try executing dbms_stats, then recreate the external table.

Previous Topic: Initiate a DataPump from a Procedure
Next Topic: External tables Fixed Format Data
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 17:46:59 CDT 2024