Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Net8 PC client won't connect to Oracle 8 database through firewall
Net8 PC client won't connect to Oracle 8 database through firewall [message #367691] Thu, 04 November 1999 17:26 Go to next message
Bob Brodbeck
I have been trying to get an Oracle 8.1.5 PC client to connect using Net8 through a Gauntlett firewall to my Oracle 8 database.
I keep getting an error TNS-12541 TNS: No listener.

The listener is running on the database server.
I can connect to it using any Oracle 7.3.4 SQL*Net client. ( I did have to put a community entry in the tnsnames.ora file though)

Our Gauntlett firewall has the SQL*Net firewall proxy. This is probably why the 7.3.4 SQL*Net client works fine.

Will I have to get a Net8 firewall proxy for my Gauntlett firewall or are there some Net8 configuration file parameters I can change? If so, could you provide some examples?
Re: Net8 PC client won't connect to Oracle 8 database through firewall [message #367714 is a reply to message #367691] Fri, 03 December 1999 01:46 Go to previous message
Kevin Meade
Hi, I am having similar problems. I don't have an answer for you but rather was hoping you had some advice for me. Examples was a good idea. If you could explain to me the basic problem, maybe my firewall does not have net8 support? Anyway, can you help me with some examples of listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, and the community fix?

Thanks either way,

Kevin Meade kmeade@thehartford.com
Previous Topic: ODBC driver use with MS Excel.
Next Topic: SQL*Net and Fire Walls
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:56:59 CDT 2024