Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Are there any defragment tools? (Oracle 10g)
Are there any defragment tools? [message #400219] Mon, 27 April 2009 03:31 Go to next message
summoner
Dear All,

To handle fragmentation, we export the data and then import it back manually, which involves too much manual actions and mistakes may occur.

Is there any software to handle this action, so that our work becomes simpler?

Thanks
Re: Are there any defragment tools? [message #400229 is a reply to message #400219] Mon, 27 April 2009 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Why do you think there is fragmentation?
If you often do it I'm surprised you don't still have a script that does it automatically.

Regards
Michel
Re: Are there any defragment tools? [message #400233 is a reply to message #400219] Mon, 27 April 2009 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
summoner
Thanks for quick reply Smile

We have a table space that consumes around 300M before export/import. And after export/import it consumes around 200M. Therefore, I think there are some gaps between data, or say fragments exist

We have not any scripts to handle it. Actually one of my colleagues work on it and I am confusing why this cannot be done automatically. And my colleague replied there are several errors during importing. Therefore, we need to keep tracking and solve the problem when some errors occur.
Re: Are there any defragment tools? [message #400237 is a reply to message #400233] Mon, 27 April 2009 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Therefore, I think there are some gaps between data, or say fragments exist

And then after a while it goes back to 300M I bet. So let it alone.

Quote:
I am confusing why this cannot be done automatically

Because 99% of the time there is no need to.

Quote:
And my colleague replied there are several errors during importing.

This is one good reason to NOT do this.

By the way, 200M or 300M who cares when 1G costs less than 20 cents.

Regards
Michel
Re: Are there any defragment tools? [message #400255 is a reply to message #400237] Mon, 27 April 2009 05:58 Go to previous message
summoner
Quote:
And then after a while it goes back to 300M I bet. So let it alone.

So oracle will do the housekeeping? Do I need to do something in order to activate the function?

Quote:
Because 99% of the time there is no need to.

Quote:
This is one good reason to NOT do this.

By the way, 200M or 300M who cares when 1G costs less than 20 cents.

300M is the testing data. In normal database, the size is in GB.
One reason we try to do that is that our system has insufficient space. We cannot let the database grow from time to time. Therefore, we want to do this process by month/year
Previous Topic: restoring database into the existing database
Next Topic: ERROR 350
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:49:38 CDT 2024