Home » Other » Community Hangout » Unberable heat waves - Chennai
Unberable heat waves - Chennai [message #401065] Fri, 01 May 2009 06:34 Go to next message
dr.s.raghunathan
hi.
unbearable heat waves and touching 110 F at Neyveli, tamilnadu, India. Heat waves sucks almost 30 to 40% of the productivity and efficiency loss. Air-conditioner is the good solution but india is under developed country and can not afford electricity towards air-condition since it is always a scarcity commodity. Infact Electricity has dominent role in the elections conducted in India. Shifting of work time is another good solution but tradition does not permit to work during night.
Re: Unberable heat waves - Chennai [message #401066 is a reply to message #401065] Fri, 01 May 2009 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
True. It scares me.
Next month I will be visiting home( Chennai, India) after almost 6 years. My 2 year old is already there and taking it easy.
I do not think I can handle it the same way.
For last decade, my lowest was ~ -20F and highest ~ 90F with the
awesome New England(USA) winter Wink.

>>but tradition does not permit to work during night.

Half the IT /back office folks are working at night to support US customers Smile.
It does not matter though. It is more humid at nights.
In the concrete jungles like Chennai, it is worse.
Last time, I could not even lean on internal walls of my home.
Re: Unberable heat waves - Chennai [message #401070 is a reply to message #401066] Fri, 01 May 2009 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
I just can't imagine havingto work in that sort of temperature.
I get uncomfortable if the temperature is over 75F
Re: Unberable heat waves - Chennai [message #401075 is a reply to message #401070] Fri, 01 May 2009 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
JRowbottom wrote on Fri, 01 May 2009 14:47
I just can't imagine havingto work in that sort of temperature.
I get uncomfortable if the temperature is over 75F

Well, you work in North Yorkshire, where it always is sunny.

at least, according to your profile it is... Wink
Re: Unberable heat waves - Chennai [message #401076 is a reply to message #401075] Fri, 01 May 2009 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRowbottom
Parts of that profile may be less than totally accurate.
And not the bit about the midges.

Re: Unberable heat waves - Chennai [message #401109 is a reply to message #401066] Fri, 01 May 2009 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Around here, the temperature ranges from about 30F on the coldest winter nights to about 113F on the hottest summer days. Now that I am retired, on hot days, I get up early and do as much as I can of the things that require moving around a lot, then do things that I can do sitting at my desk in front of a fan. Sometimes on a real hot afternoon I either take a nap on the couch under a fan or sit in a bathtub of cool water and read something for half an hour. I gave up trying to fix the air conditioning years ago. It always broke again shortly after it was "fixed". We used to have troubles with the air conditioning where I used to work too, which was one of the reasons I used to enjoy working at night. It also meant there was less traffic driving to and from and fewer people, so it was quieter. When I did get stuck working on hot days, I drank a lot of cold water.

Re: Unberable heat waves - Chennai [message #401151 is a reply to message #401109] Fri, 01 May 2009 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Yep, I hear all that. We had a big heat wave in Summer (fuelled the bad bushfires we had). Heat waves never last long in Melbourne - 2-3 days, 4 tops - so we are fairly intolerant of hot weather and looooooove our air-con. Problem is it was SO hot that everyone had the air-com cranked to the max and overloaded the grid. To make it worse, the bushfires were taking out some of the overland high voltage lines. End result: grumpy hot people sitting in the dark.

It's all good now though. Winter has come early. Overnight lows below 10C and up to a metre of snow in the Victorian alps.

I can recommend either wet towels to replace bed-sheets, or a Melbourne holiday. No midges here.
Re: Unberable heat waves - Chennai [message #407602 is a reply to message #401151] Wed, 10 June 2009 11:46 Go to previous message
JRowbottom
Nah - poisonous spiders ate all the midges.

(with apologies to the advert)
Previous Topic: LAQuake
Next Topic: I want Your Help : DJ_martin (David)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:04:44 CDT 2024