Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Temporary table in Oracle
Temporary table in Oracle [message #411553] Sun, 05 July 2009 05:15 Go to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
I added a new page on Wiki named Temporary table.
As this feature leads to many controversies everywhere (including here), I'll be glad to hear your comments.

(Note this page is not from me but from Stephane Faroult and is posted with his agreement.)

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Wed, 05 May 2010 10:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Temporary table in Oracle [message #411570 is a reply to message #411553] Sun, 05 July 2009 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
I found it a bit ranty. It doesn't so much tell you about temporary tables as the myriad ways in which the author has seen them mis-used.

Having said that, I am going to cop out and decline to improve upon it.

For what its worth (very little, I expect), I'd keep the Introduction and rewrite the remaining sections to discuss:

- Purpose of Temporary Tables (store a working copy of data that can be indexed and accessed via SQL)
- Other methods of storing working data sets (PL/SQL collections accessed procedurally, Object Type collections accessed via SQL, heap tables)
- A detailed comparison of the methods (eg. redo/undo generation, relative read and update efficiency, limitations, scaleability)
- Some common scenarios benchmared with each method including scaling factors
- Some pitfalls (as already detailed) but benchmarked and shown with work-arounds
Re: Temporary table in Oracle [message #411576 is a reply to message #411570] Sun, 05 July 2009 09:16 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Many thanks Ross fot this comment, it will be very useful.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Post is getting vanished
Next Topic: Multiple File Attachment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:36:05 CDT 2024