Home » Server Options » Data Guard » Shutdown standy before RMAN cold backup (10.2.0.4, Solaris 5.10)
Shutdown standy before RMAN cold backup [message #424324] Thu, 01 October 2009 09:57 Go to next message
lotusdeva
Hi, we are on Oracle 10.2.0.4, Data Guard with broker, RMAN. Is it necessary to shutdown standby before we take cold backup if our standy is always in managed recovery mode (because of the broker)? Metalink note 602299.1 states the following two scenarios:

1. Performing a consistent/cold backup on the standby database

sql> connect SYS/oracle@sbdb1 
sql> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE 
sql> STARTUP NOMMOUNT PFILE=initSTANDBY.ora 
sql> ALTER DATABASE MOUNT STANDBY DATABASE; 

$ rman target sys/oracle@sbdb1 catalog rmanUser/passwd@conn_catalog
RMAN> backup database; 
RMAN> backup archivelog all; 

And

2. Performing a inconsistent/hot backup on the standby database

$ rman target sys/oracle@sbdb1 catalog rmanUser/passwd@conn_catalog
RMAN> backup database; 
RMAN> backup archivelog all; 

Standy will always be in inconsistent mode because of the broker, standby is already mounted. So I am thinking that I dont have to shut it down and then mount it. Or does it make sense to shutdown and then mont if db is hanging for some reason?
Thank you!
Re: Shutdown standy before RMAN cold backup [message #424617 is a reply to message #424324] Sun, 04 October 2009 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
If you want to take a cold backup with RMAN, then the database would have to be in MOUNT mode with NO recovery being performed.
Re: Shutdown standy before RMAN cold backup [message #424718 is a reply to message #424617] Mon, 05 October 2009 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lotusdeva
Yes, but a) standby is always in mount mode and b) because we have broker set up, db is always in recovery mode. So I am thinking (according to the Metalink note that I posted), I can take a cold backup, but it will be considered "inconsistent" because db is in recovery mode. I have tested and restored this backup sucesfully.

Thank you!
Re: Shutdown standy before RMAN cold backup [message #424730 is a reply to message #424718] Mon, 05 October 2009 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
The fact that the database is always in MOUNT mode isn't the issue, it's the fact that you are in MOUNT mode AND performing recovery. Being in mount mode and NOT performing recovery (consistent) and being in mount mode and performing recovery (inconsistent) are two distinct events and backups can be taken during both.

An "inconsistent" backup would not be categorized as a cold backup.
Re: Shutdown standy before RMAN cold backup [message #424732 is a reply to message #424730] Mon, 05 October 2009 12:46 Go to previous message
lotusdeva
Yep.
Previous Topic: How to ensure that Data Guard is reliable?
Next Topic: Creating Standby database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:30:38 CDT 2024