Home » Other » Community Hangout » People from down under
People from down under [message #463797] Sat, 03 July 2010 14:08 Go to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I know two of them (you) - Ross & DJ Martin. Anyone else?

I was wondering - what are you? Australians? British?

Because - there's that House M.D. TV series. In one of the episodes, two characters (Chase & House) talk:

House: You're British.
Chase: I'm Australian.
House: You put the Queen on your money. You're British.

/forum/fa/5767/0/

So, do you watch House? I don't understand much of its "medical" side, but every now and then they amuse me with funny statements (such as the one above).

Hugh Laurie (who acts as Dr. House) is, well, getting older. In Stuart Little he was what ... 10 years younger than now. Geena Davis was good looking too /forum/fa/1683/0/ Nowadays, between two football (FIFA World Cup in South Africa) matches, there's Jeeves and Wooster on TV. Hugh was 20 years younger. And that's significant number of years.

However, it is not aging that bothers me at the moment. It is heat, sultriness and God damned mosquitoes.
Re: People from down under [message #463807 is a reply to message #463797] Sun, 04 July 2010 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Yeah, the joke there is that House (Laurie) is actually the British one. There's actually plenty of Aussies on US TV shows (Anthony LaPaglia, Melissa George, Portia de Rossi, Julian McMahon, Simon Baker), but most of them use American accents. Chase's accent is very mainstream Australian, not like Paul Hogan, Bryan Brown, or Bill Hunter, who all have (or affect?) country / rural accents.

Hugh Laurie gets a lot of flack for his accent on House (people say it is unconvincing). Maybe it's obvious to born Americans, but I reckon he does a pretty good job of it.

Speaking of accents, find some YouTube footage of our new Prime Minister, Julia Gillard. Then find some clips from the comedy show Kath and Kim. How close is it? The nuance might be lost if you're not familiar with the Australian accent; for us, this is like the next US president sounding like Cletus the Slack-jawed Yokel from The Simpsons.
Re: People from down under [message #463871 is a reply to message #463807] Mon, 05 July 2010 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Also Rachel Griffiths (Brothers and Sisters) and Toni Collette (United States of Tara)

David

PS The Queen is only on our coins. There are 'Australians' on both sides of our notes.

Mod DJM: Okay the Queen is on one side of our lowest denomination note.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 July 2010 03:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: People from down under [message #463873 is a reply to message #463871] Mon, 05 July 2010 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
I can't find a single Aussie on the $5 note.

Just started watching Six Feet Under last night and realised I'd forgotton poor old Rachel. Nice pickup.
Re: People from down under [message #463920 is a reply to message #463797] Mon, 05 July 2010 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rahulvb
Littlefoot wrote on Sat, 03 July 2010 14:08
House: You're British.
Chase: I'm Australian.
House: You put the Queen on your money. You're British.

Good One Laughing
Re: People from down under [message #463956 is a reply to message #463797] Mon, 05 July 2010 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
I'm a fan of House. Don't really care whether the accent is 100% accurate or not. Hugh Laurie started out as part of a double act with Stephen Fry in shows like 'A bit of fry and Laurie'. Some rather bizzarre stuff along with some classic humour. He was more like his character in Jeeves and Wooster than what you see in House.
Re: People from down under [message #464004 is a reply to message #463956] Mon, 05 July 2010 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
I like watching House too. To me, on the program House, Hugh Laurie sounds totally American. However, I heard him briefly on some talk show where he was speaking presumably as his normal self, and he sounded British. I never heard of Hugh Laurie before House. There are big differences in how Americans talk from state to state. Somebody with a southern drawl or a New York or Boston accent sounds a lot different from somebody in California. As somebody who was born and raised in California, to me Hugh Laurie sounds like any other Californian when he is speaking like an American on House.

Re: People from down under [message #464013 is a reply to message #463956] Mon, 05 July 2010 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
pablolee wrote on Mon, 05 July 2010 22:17
Hugh Laurie started out as part of a double act with Stephen Fry in shows like 'A bit of fry and Laurie'.

Someone once told me that House was about the first show that Laurie got on his own; and Stephen Fry got him the rest. Possibly not true...
Re: People from down under [message #464749 is a reply to message #464013] Fri, 09 July 2010 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I forgot about True Blood. Ryan Kwanten (Jason Stackhouse)is Australian and Anna Paquin (Sookie Stackhouse) is Canadian-born New Zealander.

David
Re: People from down under [message #464933 is a reply to message #464749] Sun, 11 July 2010 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Heck, are there any flippin Americans on American TV dramas?

Halfway through season 1 of Damages and just discovered Rose Byrne (Ellen Parsons) is an Aussie too.
Re: People from down under [message #466352 is a reply to message #464933] Mon, 19 July 2010 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Another Aussie I like is Mark Webber - he drives for Formula 1 Red Bull Racing team. He seems to be an honest person (at least, that's my impression after some watching and reading).

Does any of you enjoy F1 races? You know, after having a Sunday lunch, you announce that you need a couple of hours just for yourself because there's that very important Grand Prix. Then, you watch the start and several laps, doze and oversleep anothers, and finally wake up just to see who won today's race.
Re: People from down under [message #466358 is a reply to message #466352] Mon, 19 July 2010 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Big fan of F1. Supporting McLaren this year, specifically lewis Hamilton. My wife prefers saturday's qualifying (you get to see all the team news and gossip) The Sunday is my preference. Been a really good year so far in terms of how close the championship is, as well as how interesting most of the races have been. Webber I feel is a little bit too reckless as a driver (which is saying something coming from a Hamilton fan Smile ) although he does seem like a pretty decent bloke (to use the Aussie's own parlance)
Re: People from down under [message #466359 is a reply to message #464013] Mon, 19 July 2010 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
rleishman wrote on Tue, 06 July 2010 00:10
pablolee wrote on Mon, 05 July 2010 22:17
Hugh Laurie started out as part of a double act with Stephen Fry in shows like 'A bit of fry and Laurie'.

Someone once told me that House was about the first show that Laurie got on his own; and Stephen Fry got him the rest. Possibly not true...

Always possible, but it's noty something that I had ever heard (which means absolutely nothing Smile )
Re: People from down under [message #466364 is a reply to message #466359] Mon, 19 July 2010 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
F1: I calmed down (it's been years now), but back then I was really mad on Eddie Jordan, when he sold his team. Jordans were my favourites; I liked their yellow colour, wasps and funny adverts they had (all thanks to Benson & Hedges being banned from advertising (no smoking campaign)). Heinz-Harald Frentzen was my No. 1, but - unfortunately for both of us, his career wasn't very successful.

Somehow, I never was a big fan of strong, powerful and rich teams (such as Ferrari, McLaren) but rather supported someone else, was overwhelmed when teams like Minardi managed to win GP points.
Re: People from down under [message #466367 is a reply to message #466364] Mon, 19 July 2010 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Aye, EJ is a regular face now on the commentary, he's a funny wee guy. My second team for support is Lotus, really looking forward to when they start to become competitive (a few years away yet methinks)
Re: People from down under [message #468245 is a reply to message #466367] Thu, 29 July 2010 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I envy you. It is Winter down there, and it is Summer over here. This image was taken a couple of weeks ago in my office. (It is Celsius you are seeing).

/forum/fa/8110/0/

The air-conditioner was running at full power. Outside, it was ~35 degrees Celsius, very humid. It wasn't that much about high temperature, but humidity. All the clothes just sticked to the body; additionally, trousers sticked to both my butt and a chair. What a wonderful experience ...

At the same time, guys who maintain air-conditioner said that everything is fine, it's working and cooling the air. Right.

Now it is somehow better; heat came in two waves, both lasting from Monday to Friday. For the weekend - bad weather, lower temperatures, and then, as the week began, the temperature was raising. Today afternoon, we were promised new showers.

This is the advert I saw a minute ago:

/forum/fa/8111/0/

Former boss of my department is now in Australia. Can't tell where exactly; I don't know him well, as he left before I got employed. Anyway: he comes home now and then and visits his old friends. What I can tell is: moving to Australia seems to be a bad move. He looks like a Proteus anguinus, i.e. someone who had never seen the Sun. His skin is as pale as the Moon. His hair too, but I'm not sure it has something to do with Australia.

He says that he works day and night, comes home late in the evening. A few months a year he works in Sweden (another country known for its sunny weather, sand beaches and similar). OK, I understand Sweden, but being that white in Australia, that's something I can't comprehend. OK, people need money, have to work, but ... I don't know, is it worth it? He might have everything, but he doesn't have his life.
  • Attachment: DSC00386.JPG
    (Size: 21.97KB, Downloaded 2210 times)
  • Attachment: australia.PNG
    (Size: 13.28KB, Downloaded 2248 times)
Re: People from down under [message #468288 is a reply to message #468245] Thu, 29 July 2010 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Doesn't work, Littlefoot!

Spent the last half hour or so clicking the information button on the image above Sad
Re: People from down under [message #468290 is a reply to message #468245] Thu, 29 July 2010 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Littlefoot wrote on Thu, 29 July 2010 12:22
[snip] in Sweden (another country known for its sunny weather, sand beaches and similar)

If Sweden is known in Croatia for its sunny weather, sand & beaches, I really pity you!
Re: People from down under [message #468299 is a reply to message #468290] Thu, 29 July 2010 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
The land of Oz is big enough to cover a fair bit of climatic territory. In the southern states - particularly Victoria and Tasmania - it is only hot for a few months of the year, and throughout that time the UV is insane - very nasty on the fair-skinned like myself. Best to stay covered up and in the shade. The sun-lovers live further north, get less UV and better sun-tans.
Re: People from down under [message #468303 is a reply to message #468299] Thu, 29 July 2010 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Northern/Southern hemisphere can get really confusing. A couple of years ago, I was spending alternate weeks at home (which was South Africa at the time) and various places in Northern Europe. It was well weird, alternating between the sun disappearing by 17:30 at home, and the next day watching people playing tennis at midnight in Helsinki. I don't recommend it.
Re: People from down under [message #468310 is a reply to message #468288] Thu, 29 July 2010 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Frank wrote on Thu, 29 July 2010 16:20
Doesn't work, Littlefoot!

Spent the last half hour or so clicking the information button on the image above Sad

ROFLMAO!!! Try this instead.

/forum/fa/8113/0/

Re: People from down under [message #468348 is a reply to message #468310] Thu, 29 July 2010 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Littlefoot,

That doesn't work either. All we get is the picture without anything that we can click on, both in the frame and if we download it. How about providing a standard url / link?
Re: People from down under [message #468396 is a reply to message #468348] Fri, 30 July 2010 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Well, I believe that Frank was just joking because - all I attached was a screenshot, no link whatsoever. The another one was another verse of the same joke. I didn't think that someone will really be interested in it, so ...

Here it is - a working advert:

/forum/fa/8114/0/

No matter what, I like them (images, that is). Whoever did the job, did it well.
Re: People from down under [message #468402 is a reply to message #468290] Fri, 30 July 2010 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Frank

If Sweden is known in Croatia for its sunny weather, sand & beaches, I really pity you!

Uh, no. This topic is (was) not meant to be a serious one.

People from Sweden come here, because our (Adriatic) sea is warm and beautiful. Though, there is more than one meaning of the adjective (when seaside is a noun). I guess David (djmartin) could say a word or two about the beaches; I understood his wife is from (sorry if I'm wrong) Thailand (?). The Aussies themselves have too many great white sharks around their beaches, so ... tempting, but no.

Those tourists (Vikings), who come from far north, don't care much about water temperatures being between 19 and 22 degrees Celsius. Although it is too cold for me, they seem to enjoy because - if compared to their temperatures, this is really warm.

Our neighbours were gasterbeiters in Sweden (a common name here, where I live, for people who left the country and went somewhere else to work and live and, hopefully, return some day. Rarely do). He (the father) fled in 1968 when Soviets invaded Czechoslovakia - didn't want to be drafted. Wife followed, and there they got 3 children. Parents worked in Volvo and, wherever they came "home", they had a new car. That was something unbelievable, as we drove a car until it broke down; then, if it was unrepairable, we bought another one.

Was life in Sweden their dream come true? I don't think so. Now they are divorced; he never really learnt the language, and (being retired) lives in a shed. Their son, a really wonderful guy, for several years worked all around the world (Japan, Dominican Republic, Canada, ...) and married a Canadian girl. Marriage, though, didn't last. Now they are separated, each living in his own country.

As kids grew up and grandparents died, they sold a house they owned. I haven't seen them for years; probably never will.
Re: People from down under [message #468594 is a reply to message #468402] Fri, 30 July 2010 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Littlefoot wrote on Fri, 30 July 2010 15:40
The Aussies themselves have too many great white sharks around their beaches, so ... tempting, but no.

Not actually true, Great White's are very nearly an endangered species.

The Gold Coast (40km of perfect white-sand surf beach from Tweed Heads to Southport) is the most popular beach holiday location in Oz, and they have had 24 shark attacks in 100 years (not many Great Whites). http://www.goldcoastaustralia.com/gold-coast-shark-attacks.html

There is a small tourism industry in South Australia (cooler waters) to take people out in boats to see Great Whites, but they very often don't.
Re: People from down under [message #468647 is a reply to message #468594] Sat, 31 July 2010 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Almost one dead in four years. When was the last poor victim eaten? (so that we'd know whether to - statistically speaking - swim there or not)
Re: People from down under [message #468676 is a reply to message #468647] Sun, 01 August 2010 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rleishman
Well STATISTICALLY, only one of those 24 - Andrija Rojcezic - sounds like they could be Croatian and that was just 10 years ago. I reckon you've got a good 70-80 years before your odds of being eaten are high enough to worry about.

However 2 other European sounding names - Jan Ligrov and Kristoffer Fredriksen have been gnawed in the last 50 years, so the sharks may be targeting Europeans as a potentially more exotic flavour.
Re: People from down under [message #468694 is a reply to message #468676] Sun, 01 August 2010 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Right; seeing poor Andrija's name, my first thought was: "that's one of us!".

Heh, that must be because we what we eat tastes so good that even those animals can't resist. We are proud to be the most delicious meal in Australian waters /forum/fa/7776/0/.
Re: People from down under [message #469771 is a reply to message #468694] Thu, 05 August 2010 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Back to House M.D. (mentioned in the first message; it's the 2nd season's re-run on our TV). I don't know the word (hopefully someone will teach me) so I'll try to explain.

Every episode begins with a short introduction, a few scenes where we meet a new patient. Then there's <insert word I don't know here> part which tells us that this is the House M.D. we are watching and lists actors' names (Hugh Laurie, Lisa Edelstein, ...). Backgrounds are sketches of a human brain, nerves, an X-ray chest image and other body parts. Among them is a very short scene where we see a river (late Autumn, I'd say) with two boats.

What the heck is that supposed to mean? Blood vessels? (nothing else crosses my mind)
Re: People from down under [message #469800 is a reply to message #469771] Thu, 05 August 2010 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
As it seems the first aerial shot in the title sequence is Princeton University. And the "river" is really Lake Carnegie, which belongs to the University.
Re: People from down under [message #469801 is a reply to message #469771] Thu, 05 August 2010 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
This reminds me of some literature classes that I took in school, where they were always trying to get us to "read between the lines" to what I believed was a ridiculous extent, resulting in imagining things that the author never intended. Along similar lines, people play records backwards trying to come up with imaginary messages. Now we have people trying to analyze the pictures in an introduction (also called an intro for short) and the rumors start to fly. I saw some posts on the internet where people were hypothesizing as to some meaning of the two boats in what appears to be a river, suggesting that they represent blood vessels and such.

The intro flashes back and forth between various things including some outdoor scenes, such as a pieces of a flyover of Princeton University, which is supposed to be the hospital that House works at, and the surrounding area, which includes a portion of Carnegie Lake that is narrow enough that it looks like a river. It was probably just coincidence that there were a couple of boats on the lake during the flyover and is a more interesting picture than just the lake.

Let your imagination run wild if you like or read the faqs in the link below.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412142/faq#.2.1.4

Re: People from down under [message #469829 is a reply to message #469801] Fri, 06 August 2010 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Great, thank you for all the information (including missing words)!

I understood that the first "non-human" shot was the University (it appears every now and then in the show). Although, I thought that it was the hospital. I wonder what those white stripes in the yard are; look like pebble paths, but - why do they and so unexpectedly? Then I thought that they might be something related to sport activities, but - as I'm unfamiliar with sports played in the US (such as baseball, football ...), no idea whatsoever.

But the lake - it really is narrow. As long as the hospital and House with his team look OK, the lake itself is ugly (actaully, was ugly at the time). I guess it looks much better in Summer.

OK, let's read some HouseFAQ now!
Re: People from down under [message #469833 is a reply to message #463797] Fri, 06 August 2010 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
people play records backwards trying to come up with imaginary messages.
Barbara, you are showing your age! Mind you, one thing the current generation will never experience is what happens when you play a record at the wrong speed. If you play Black Sabbath at 48, man, you see god.
[edit - typo]

[Updated on: Fri, 06 August 2010 01:47]

Re: People from down under [message #469843 is a reply to message #469833] Fri, 06 August 2010 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I thought it was at 45 (not 48). (But there were also 33 and 78 RPM)
Re: People from down under [message #469851 is a reply to message #469843] Fri, 06 August 2010 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You're right! I dread to think what would happen if you played Black Sabbath at 78 (and backwards)
Re: People from down under [message #469987 is a reply to message #469833] Fri, 06 August 2010 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
John Watson wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 23:46

If you play Black Sabbath at 48, man, you see god.

I suspect the vision might have more to do with what you were smoking at the time.

Re: People from down under [message #470002 is a reply to message #469829] Fri, 06 August 2010 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Littlefoot wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 23:22

I wonder what those white stripes in the yard are; look like pebble paths, but - why do they and so unexpectedly? Then I thought that they might be something related to sport activities, but - as I'm unfamiliar with sports played in the US (such as baseball, football ...), no idea whatsoever.

Which white stripes? The ones that cross on the left or the ones that run parallel on the right? The ones that cross look like paths that cross running through a lawn to me. The ones that run parallel look like they could be marking borders or bleacher areas for a playing field, perhaps soccer, since I don't see any yard lines for football. Just guessing.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&channel=s&hl=en&q=princeton+university&ie=UTF8&hq=Princeton+Universi ty&hnear=Princeton+University,+Princeton,+Mercer,+New+Jersey+08540&ll=40.346062,-74.655278&spn=0.001153,0.004292&t=h& amp;z=19

[Updated on: Fri, 06 August 2010 13:25]

Re: People from down under [message #470003 is a reply to message #469987] Fri, 06 August 2010 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
/forum/fa/449/0/

... and 12 points for a remark regarding John's visions goes to - BB!

These white lines:

/forum/fa/8141/0/

But, soccer requires more lines than these two. I know, it is the most popular sport over here.
  • Attachment: house.PNG
    (Size: 181.07KB, Downloaded 2019 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 06 August 2010 13:30]

Re: People from down under [message #470016 is a reply to message #470003] Fri, 06 August 2010 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Well, you know that there are people who can not rest until they find a specific information on the Intarweb? Laughing

In one picture in this Chinese (Or Japanese?) blog post you can see the white lines are some sort of walls, apparently for sitting on.

OH, and I thought the messages from the devil could be heard when you play AOL CDs backwards?

[Updated on: Fri, 06 August 2010 17:20]

Re: People from down under [message #470027 is a reply to message #470016] Sat, 07 August 2010 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Gosh! Didn't know you speak simplified Chinese! /forum/fa/917/0/

Right, that's the wall! Looking at it on a satellite image is very different from an "ordinary" picture. I'd always say that it must be far too hot sitting there - no trees, no shade. But seeing those people moving around, sitting and chatting, it seems to be quite a nice place.

AOL? That's probably not America OnLine, but - what is it, then?
Previous Topic: algorithmic question
Next Topic: Book Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:29:56 CDT 2024