Home » Infrastructure » Linux » Oracle files are deleted each time I restart OS (RHEL 5.5, Oracle 11g R2)
Oracle files are deleted each time I restart OS [message #467375] Fri, 23 July 2010 12:32 Go to next message
MelissaC
Ok, so I got RHEL 5.5 installed on a VM in VMware Workstation 6.5. I installed Oracle Grid Infrastructure, setup my ACFS disk groups, install Oracle Database 11g Release 2 11.2.0.0.0 software and then created my database.

I was able to login and use Enterprise Manager. I decided to do a restart of my system and now when I log back in all the first from my software location directory are gone. This has happened to me twice now. The directories are all still there, the grid files are there, it is just the software files that are missing (ORACLE_BASE location).

I created an ACFS for database home on my ACFS disk group, which has a mount point of /u01/app/oracle/acfsmounts/acfs_db1. This is the directory where the files have been removed from.

anyone know why this is happening?

Melissa

[Updated on: Fri, 23 July 2010 12:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle files are deleted each time I restart OS [message #467382 is a reply to message #467375] Fri, 23 July 2010 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Congratulations on getting so far with 11.2, not many people try to use ACFS. Possibly because of what you have discovered.
If you are using ACFS for your Oracle home, there are two common problems.
First, is the volume enabled? Does the device driver in /dev/asm actually exist, can you see it with ls? If not, create it by enabling (or re-enabling) the volume, the easiest way is the volenable command in asmcmd.
Second, if the volume is enabled, is the file system mounted? If not, mount it with a standard mount command, such as
mount -t acfs /dev/asm/vol1 /u01/whatever
Re: Oracle files are deleted each time I restart OS [message #467384 is a reply to message #467375] Fri, 23 July 2010 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
To add,
look into acfsutil tool to register an Oracle ACFS filesystem.
Re: Oracle files are deleted each time I restart OS [message #467388 is a reply to message #467382] Fri, 23 July 2010 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MelissaC
Oh my, I just check in the ASM Configuration Assistant and the Cluster File system was not mounted. I got it mounted

Any ideas on how to get this to mount upon startup?

Thanks for the help
Melissa

Re: Oracle files are deleted each time I restart OS [message #467391 is a reply to message #467388] Fri, 23 July 2010 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
use
acfsload start 

In your startup scripts.

Edit:

Here is an example.
http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/11gr2_db_prod/storage/acfs/acfs.htm?_template=/ocom/print

[Updated on: Fri, 23 July 2010 13:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle files are deleted each time I restart OS [message #467399 is a reply to message #467391] Fri, 23 July 2010 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MelissaC
I have that in my scripts already, it doesn't work to mount the ASM Cluster file system.

I tried adding this command to the same file:

/sbin/mount.acfs -o all

but that didn't work either, the ASM Cluster File system still didn't get mounted on a reboot.

I am going to create another file with this command and see if that works.
Re: Oracle files are deleted each time I restart OS [message #467417 is a reply to message #467399] Fri, 23 July 2010 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
near the top of your scripts you can add a line similar to the following
env | sort -o /tmp/capture1.env

then afterwards by

ls -l /tmp/capture1.env

you can confirm that script actually got started even though results may be less than desired.
Re: Oracle files are deleted each time I restart OS [message #467499 is a reply to message #467375] Sat, 24 July 2010 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Be sure to add an entry into /etc/fstab so that it is auto-mounted on reboot.
Re: Oracle files are deleted each time I restart OS [message #467512 is a reply to message #467499] Sun, 25 July 2010 02:04 Go to previous message
John Watson
The problem with using /etc/fstab is that it is processed before starting the Clusterware.
Overall, I see little point in using ACFS for your Oracle home. One reason I can see is if you using server pools. In that case, you would want to mount the appropriate Oracle home on every node that is currently running an RDBMS instance. It is (I think) theoretically possible to build in a dependency, such that the file system will be mounted by the Clusterware on whatever nodes the Clusterware decides to start an instance, and on no others. But I have no customers who are considering using server pools.
Does that reason make sense? And can anyone see any other reason for putting your $OH on ACFS?
Previous Topic: Recalling Previous commands
Next Topic: Connect to Idle instance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:25:56 CDT 2024