Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Comparing Gateways (10.2.0.4, Windows 2003 64 bit)
Comparing Gateways [message #484757] Thu, 02 December 2010 11:53 Go to next message
plshelp
Hi all,

We are planning on interfacing Oracle to SQL server connectivity, I'm researching on how to create a dblink to SQL server 2005. I'm a little confused between Generic connectivity and Transparent Gateways..

I think Transparent Gateway is not free and needs to be licensed, is it better interms of performance? Also, do I need to configure this gateway on a seperate server?
I think Generic connectivity can be configured on the same Oracle database server itself.. but I see there could be some performance issues with it..

We are running on Oracle 10.2, looks like HSODBC is not available in 10g?

Please help me..Thanks a lot
Re: Comparing Gateways [message #487633 is a reply to message #484757] Wed, 29 December 2010 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dataentryoutsourcing

A transparent gateway is a gateway that is designed for accessing a specific non-oracle system.with these database, you can use an database server to access data anywhere in a distributed database system without needing to know either the location of the data or how it is stored.
In addition to transparent gateways,there is a set of agents that comprise the oracle generic connectivity feature.these agents contain only generic code and customer is responsible for providing the necessary drivers.Generic connectivity has some limitations. The ODBC and OLEDB gateways have to be installed in the same oracle home directory as the oracle database server. connecting to one of these gateways from another oracle database server is not supported.
Re: Comparing Gateways [message #487644 is a reply to message #484757] Wed, 29 December 2010 04:44 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
looks like HSODBC is not available in 10g?

It is, at least on Windows.

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Wed, 29 December 2010 04:45]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: ORA-12154 TNS: could not resolve service name
Next Topic: TNS-01251: Cannot set trace/log directory under ADR
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:50:51 CDT 2024