Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Difference in character sets of server and client (Oracle 9i, 9.2.0.1.0, RHEL 2.1 AS)
Difference in character sets of server and client [message #499732] Wed, 16 March 2011 00:16 Go to next message
jimit_shaili
Dear Freinds

I've a question regarding difference of character sets, while taking a export(logical backup) of database on directly to server(linux RHEL 2.1 AS) and export on a client (windows xp prof machine, where only a oracle 9i client is installed). On server it seems to fine and okay, but on client node i'm getting following error for almost all tables.
EXP-00091: Exporting questionable statistics.

My question is :
[1] Is it creating any sort of problem, if later on i import the data which was taken from client node.
[2] Why there is a difference(marginal) in dump(.dmp) file size.
[3] Is there any way to overcome it, or it is the natural behave of it. Means not a problem.
[4] If i'm using a long or blob as datatype for some of my table,is they have any problem if i persist like above.

Additional Information about character sets
On server node :

Export done in US7ASCII character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character set
		 server uses WE8ISO8859P1 character set (possible charset conversion)

On client node :

Export done in WE8MSWIN1252 character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character set
		 server uses US7ASCII character set (possible charset conversion)

Regards

Jimit
Re: Difference in character sets of server and client [message #499735 is a reply to message #499732] Wed, 16 March 2011 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
My advice is always NOT export the statistics using "statisrics=none" and gather statistics after the import on the target database.

My other advice is to ALWAYS export and import using NLS_LANG that both fits either source database or target database character sets to limit the effect of character conversion.

Regards
Michel
Re: Difference in character sets of server and client [message #499739 is a reply to message #499735] Wed, 16 March 2011 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimit_shaili
Dear Micheal

I'm able to understand your first advice and it seems to be worth and acceptable, but i'm not getting clear about the second one and in my case there is not a two database. Actually single database export donw from different nodes. Please give me some precise advice on my problem/question.

Thanks

Jimit
Re: Difference in character sets of server and client [message #499750 is a reply to message #499739] Wed, 16 March 2011 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
If you export maybe this is because you may have to import sometimes otherwise why to export?
So if you import you import into a database which I named "target database".
Source and target databases could be the same one, this does not change what I said just simplify it: use NLS_LANG that matches the database character set.

Regards
Michel
Re: Difference in character sets of server and client [message #499755 is a reply to message #499750] Wed, 16 March 2011 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimit_shaili
Thanks Micheal

I getting little bit clear what you want to say, but still can you give me some more information on how can i set/use NLS_LANG on client node which is the same as per my server node. please give some more details/guideline or some sort of command either a parameter to exp command or environment variable need to set on client side.

Regards

Jimit
Re: Difference in character sets of server and client [message #499759 is a reply to message #499755] Wed, 16 March 2011 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
C:\> set NLS_LANG=<your country>_<your language>.<the database character set>
C:\> exp ...

And equivalent on Unix system.

Regards
Michel

Re: Difference in character sets of server and client [message #499769 is a reply to message #499759] Wed, 16 March 2011 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimit_shaili
Thanks Micheal

Should i proceed ahead with following parameter on client node? Just conform me, i'm getting confused between character set of export utility and server character sets.

C:\> set NLS_LANG=AMERICA_AMERICAN.US7ASCII or
C:\> set NLS_LANG=AMERICA_AMERICAN.WE8ISO8859P1

Regards

Jimit
Re: Difference in character sets of server and client [message #499772 is a reply to message #499769] Wed, 16 March 2011 02:49 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Should i proceed ahead with following parameter on client node?

On the node that takes the export.

Choose the one that matches the database character set:
select value from nls_database_parameters where parameter = 'NLS_CHARACTERSET';

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2011 02:49]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Error: An unhandled win32 exception occured in ctxhx.exe
Next Topic: sql loader
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:52:16 CDT 2024