Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Export import method (Oracle 11g,Unix)
Export import method [message #518002] Sun, 31 July 2011 01:46 Go to next message
Smith14
Hi,

I am using Oracle 11.1.0.7.0 version and UNIX-Hp OS.

Can somebody advice as which export/import method should i use when i am
told to do export/import... like table level, tablespace level ,full database level, schema level?

1.Datapump or
2.Traditional export/ import ?

Thank you

[Updated on: Sun, 31 July 2011 01:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Export import method [message #518006 is a reply to message #518002] Sun, 31 July 2011 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Datapump is advanced version of "traditional" export and import utilities. Basically, I guess that you should use datapump nowadays. There are cases when you use "traditional" exp/imp. For example, your DBA is absent, you don't have required privileges to create a DIRECTORY object and thus are unable to use datapump. Or, you are exporting a small table just to move it over to your XE database at home - EXP will do that just fine.

Datapump offers variety of advanced options. I guess you should read documentation about both utilities, know the differences and use the one you find the most appropriate. I don't know about the others, but I use both of them, depending on occasion.
Re: Export import method [message #518009 is a reply to message #518006] Sun, 31 July 2011 04:55 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
In addition, here's the link to the tools: Database Utilities.

You can start with a brief introduction in our wiki: export datapump.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Export dump file
Next Topic: How to skip last n no of records in sql Loader load
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:03:26 CDT 2024