Home » Other » Community Hangout » Hi everybody!
Hi everybody! [message #522168] Wed, 07 September 2011 01:54 Go to next message
Baranor
Hey folks,

Didn't see an actual introduction area, so I figured I'd post it here, seems to be the closest to Off Topic as it gets Wink

Name's Barry ( well, my internet alias is ), I'm 31 years old at the moment, work as a software engineer on a decent sized app (400+ forms) for governemental licensing and am really enjoying the Oracle Trade. I've been doing PL/SQL, Designer and Forms for about 5 years now, have my OCP ( got that within a year after I hopped over from the pharmaceutical industry) and for some reason this database stuff is right up my alley. Strange, considering I have an MSc in Biology O_o.

So, HI!

p.s. English is not my native language, I might make a mistake here and there.
Re: Hi everybody! [message #522176 is a reply to message #522168] Wed, 07 September 2011 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Hello, Barry! Welcome Smile
Re: Hi everybody! [message #522453 is a reply to message #522168] Fri, 09 September 2011 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Hi, Barry - I hope you have fun here, and keep contributing good answers. You moved from pharmaceuticals to computing? Perhaps bits and bytes are more predictable then microbes and bacteria. Or perhaps not, given my recent experiences with the Cost Based Optimizer.
Cheers, John.
Re: Hi everybody! [message #523498 is a reply to message #522453] Mon, 19 September 2011 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baranor
Ha, I'd not put any money on that indeed. Part of the fun is exploring Oracle and its many varied and sometimes mystical error messages... The name in itself is predictive... but of course, an "Oracle database" is a lot easier to spell than a "magic-8-ball-database" Wink
Re: Hi everybody! [message #523618 is a reply to message #523498] Mon, 19 September 2011 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
Oh, the error messages are actually quite good. One tip:

On each database server there is an utility "oerr" installed, that explains the cause of the error, and the action required to fix it.

It's called with

oerr [COMPONENT] [ERRORCODE]

for example:

oracle ~ $ oerr ora 12345
12345, 00000, "user %s lacks CREATE SESSION privilege in database link (linkname %s)"
// *Cause: There are several possible causes for this message:
//         First, you will get this message if your username in the
//         second database specified was not granted the
//         CREATE SESSION system privilege.
//         Second, you will get this message if the username specified
//         in the connect string of the database link definition was
//         not granted the CREATE SESSION system privilege.
// *Action: The action you take depends upon the cause of the message:
//         In the first case, ensure that your username in the secondary
//         database was granted the CREATE SESSION system privilege.
//         In the second case, ensure the username specified in the
//         connect string of the database link definition was granted
//         the CREATE SESSION system privilege in the secondary database.
oracle ~ $
oracle ~ $ oerr tns 00000
00000, 00000, "Not An Error"
// *Cause:  Everything is working as it should.
// *Action: Don't worry: Be happy.
oracle ~ $

Re: Hi everybody! [message #523641 is a reply to message #523618] Mon, 19 September 2011 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
And for those that are on Windows, they can use the old but always working and faster foerr from Stephane Faroult.

C:\>foerr tns 0

TNS-00000: Not An Error
 *Cause:  Everything is working as it should.
 *Action: Don't worry: Be happy.

Regards
Michel
Re: Hi everybody! [message #523716 is a reply to message #523641] Tue, 20 September 2011 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baranor
Hahahaha. I'll explore that option for sure next time I get an error I don't understand... its the funny little errors that you get that don't actually say what the problem is but point to something else at first that are strange.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2011 02:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Hi everybody! [message #523854 is a reply to message #523716] Tue, 20 September 2011 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
The following site is amusing and contains a lot of useful information. When I get an error that seems out of place, I search for it on that site and I often find some useful information there.

http://oraclequirks.blogspot.com/
Re: Hi everybody! [message #524857 is a reply to message #523854] Tue, 27 September 2011 04:14 Go to previous message
Baranor
You know, I'm beginning to like this forum. At first I thought "wow, moderation is a bit harsh here huh? They sure don't waste time in telling someone to better their life"... being used to game-orientated forums. But now that I've seen a few weeks of this go by, I think you guys are doing a GREAT job... this feels like a professional forum. Very nice! My respect for the moderation team.
Previous Topic: Interview with Oracle Corp., Bangalore
Next Topic: Expert Oracle Exadata: book review
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:21:49 CDT 2024