Home » RDBMS Server » Backup & Recovery » Restoring later backup controlfile and recovering till past scn??
Restoring later backup controlfile and recovering till past scn?? [message #560155] Wed, 11 July 2012 00:40 Go to next message
swaorclser
Hello Experts,

I want to ask if I restore a control file from backup of say day2 and I recover till day1 using RMAN script, then what will be the state of my database? I mean day2 controlfile may be having SCN-Day2, and I am instructing RMAN to recover till past point in time that is SCN-Day1.

Please reply.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Swaorclser
Re: Restoring later backup controlfile and recovering till past scn?? [message #560171 is a reply to message #560155] Wed, 11 July 2012 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
When you open the database (with reset log option as you restored/recovered in the past) the control file is updated with the scn you recovered and the scn starts to grow from this value.

Regards
Michel
Re: Restoring later backup controlfile and recovering till past scn?? [message #560294 is a reply to message #560171] Wed, 11 July 2012 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
swaorclser
Hello,

Thanks For your reply!

So , even if control file was SCN-DAY2, after recovery to date Day1, and open database with noresetlogs will make control file 's SCN as SCN-DAY1. I thought , while opening the database, oracle will find inconsistency that its controlfile was at SCN-DAY2 while datafiles were at SCN-DAY1.

Thanks & Regards,
swaorclser
Re: Restoring later backup controlfile and recovering till past scn?? [message #560309 is a reply to message #560294] Thu, 12 July 2012 00:50 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
open database with noresetlogs

You cannot open with noresetlogs with an incomplete recovery (a recovery to a past date), you MUST open resetlogs.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Taking a dump of huge table
Next Topic: RMAN-06403
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:56:23 CDT 2024