Home » Other » Marketplace » Oracle DBA or Oracle Application?
Oracle DBA or Oracle Application? [message #562733] Sat, 04 August 2012 00:08 Go to next message
jtschramm
I am studying Oracle (SQL) and preparing for OCA certification. Started thinking where to go next.

It seems like it will be very difficult to get an enrty-level job as a DBA. I have seen postings for entry-level that still ask for two or three years experience. Also, I am older (almost 50) trying to push my IT career in a new direction due to obselesence of skills.

I'm wondering if learning PL/SQL is the better move, because there are sites (e.g., Elance) that ask for help with application building and/or debugging, for what I am certain are below market rates, but it would be a good way to get paid experience.

Matthew's article mentioned something about this ... doing side jobs. Would enjoy hearing your opinions and perhaps experiences when starting out.

Cheers,
John Schramm
Re: Oracle DBA or Oracle Application? [message #562881 is a reply to message #562733] Mon, 06 August 2012 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
"Starting out" is of course difficult at a higher age.

Perhaps have a closer look at *which* of your skills become obsolete. For example general problem solving and/or application development skills *never* become completely obsolete when you switch the toolset. A DBA switching databases or a developer switching languages still has more experience than someone who starts his first job with no practical experience at all.

A perfect fit for a new job would be porting something that runs on or involves "your old skill set" over to Oracle.

Re: Oracle DBA or Oracle Application? [message #562944 is a reply to message #562881] Tue, 07 August 2012 03:05 Go to previous message
jtschramm
Hi Thomas:

Thanks for your kind and encouraging post.

You're absolutely right. I am trying to port the troubleshooting and general technical analysis skills with new technology. It's not easy, but I love learning so I'm having fun. I've also got above average writing skills.

The obsolete skills are mainframe generalist. I spent about twenty years in mainframe shops, doing Q/A, and tech support and help desk work. I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not enough of any of them (such as DB2) to qualify me for a job.

The encouraging part is that the market seems to looking for blends of skill sets, so being a generalist might be a good thing.

Still, I'm finding it tough to fins good, high paying work. I'm hoping that once I get my CCNA and OCA and some CompTIA certs, more doors will open.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,
John
Previous Topic: Performance analysis, for free
Next Topic: Which consulting firms pay the best?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:12:16 CDT 2024