Home » Other » General » Brand new to Oracle and I need some help making in ERD for my homework
icon4.gif  Brand new to Oracle and I need some help making in ERD for my homework [message #575399] Tue, 22 January 2013 21:59 Go to next message
mshimala
Hey guys so I'm taking a database fundamentals class and we've been assigned to make an ERD and we've been given some specs. I don't have any real experience using Oracle and I just transferred to this school so I'm not sure if the other students do or not. I may be meeting up with a student tomorrow for some help but if that falls through I was hoping you guys could help out. Here's the specs:

Use the following scenario to develop an entity relationship diagram (ERD) in SQL Developer:

VETERINARIAN OFFICE

A veterinarian wants to keep data about her customers (pet owners) and patients (their pets), including all office visits.

QUERIES:
1) Given a unique owner number (social security number), the database can list each customer's first and last names, cellphone number, email address, the names of each of the customer's pets and the type of pet it is (cat, dog, etc.).
2) Given a pet's name and owner number, the database can scan through all past visits and report out the date of the most recent visit to the vet, including the weight of the pet (in ounces) taken at said visit.
3) Given a pet name (such as "Gracie" or "Pepper"), the database will count the number of owners who have pets with the same name.

BUSINESS RULES:
1) An owner in the database can have more than one pet.
2) If an owner does have more than one pet, each pet within that family has a different name (for example, the Smith family cannot be listed in the database with a cat named "Sadie" and also a dog named "Sadie").
3) Pet names are not unique--for example, lots of owners can use the name "Spot", whether for a dog, a cat, or a snake.

NOTE: This shouldn't be a complicated thing or anything I just need some guidance as to how the ERD would look.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.
Re: Brand new to Oracle and I need some help making in ERD for my homework [message #575400 is a reply to message #575399] Tue, 22 January 2013 22:05 Go to previous message
BlackSwan
Problem (& solution) are NOT Oracle specific.
Research Data Normalization or Third Normal Form.
Previous Topic: How to pronounce SQL in english?
Next Topic: Please let me know how can I organise the application development area
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:11:06 CDT 2024