Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » Page layout /Item position (APEX 4.2 (http://apex.oracle.com))
Page layout /Item position [message #586193] Tue, 04 June 2013 06:26 Go to next message
ashishmate

Hi,
I am very much new to the APEX. My Question might sound stupid to you.
I am Trying to build a simple form for data entry using Oracle Application Express workspace.
Here I am not able to find anything to position my item in area I want.
(In attach image)I want to reduce the gap/distance between Name, Type and Location fields.
I tried changing grid layout property but when ever I change it either items get overlap or there is big gap.
Is there any way by which I can narrow the gap between two items?

/forum/fa/10841/0/

Thanks,
Ashish

Re: Page layout /Item position [message #586227 is a reply to message #586193] Tue, 04 June 2013 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Screenshot says that you used "Show Edit Links". Do items get any closer when you turn it off?

What are TYPE item's "Grid layout" properties set to? Does "New column = NO" help?
Re: Page layout /Item position [message #586238 is a reply to message #586227] Tue, 04 June 2013 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashishmate

Hiding edit link wont make any difference.
If I set "New column = NO" for Item "Type" it will move it below "Name".

(P.s All Items are text Items)

my application link http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=5121980:1:117293743299202:::::

Thanks,
Ashish
Re: Page layout /Item position [message #586242 is a reply to message #586238] Tue, 04 June 2013 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
We'd need login credentials (workspace name, username, password) in order to make changes to that page (if possible).
Re: Page layout /Item position [message #586256 is a reply to message #586242] Wed, 05 June 2013 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashishmate

Hi,

I have sent you the privet message with login credentials for http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=4550:1:0
I also notice that if I re-size browser it changes the item positioning as well. Probably I am missing some basic property here.

Thanks,
Ashish
Re: Page layout /Item position [message #586263 is a reply to message #586256] Wed, 05 June 2013 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Thank you; I've connected to your workspace and tried various options:
  • set
    style="width: 200px"
    in HTML Form Element Attributes for each item
  • modified Grid Layout ("column" set to 1-4-7 for these 3 items respectively, "column span" set to 2 or 3 for these 3 items)
  • set region's "Region Header" to
    <style type="text/css">
    .formlayout {border-collapse:collapse;}
    .formlayout td {padding:0px;}
    .formlayout td input {margin:0px;}
    .formlayout td select {margin:0px;}
    </style>
    (I left it there as it looks like what you're after - delete it if you want)
but none of these seem to be doing the job perfectly. Unfortunately, I don't know the easy way to do that. *Maybe*, if you created the whole layout manually, coding HTML statements, creating tables & cells with fixed width and stuff, adding input items etc. but I'm not sure that it is worth the pain.

As you said, layout changes when you resize browser so ... sorry, I'm not being helpful.

P.S. Forgot to say: here are the search results for "horizontal distance between items" in OTN Apex forum. Review these (or perform your own search), maybe you'll find the answer. Also, if you don't have the OTN account, register (it is free) and ask the same question over there. That is - as far as I know - the largest Apex community on the internet, where some VERY experienced and smart people help other people.

Best of luck!

[Updated on: Wed, 05 June 2013 01:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Page layout /Item position [message #586337 is a reply to message #586263] Wed, 05 June 2013 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashishmate

No need to feel sorry Littlefoot.I appreciate your help.
I have few more questions about this.
1) Do I need to have knowledge about HTML before I start learning APEX.
2) Is there big difference between Oracle APEX Workspace and actual Oracle Application Express (tool). Because designing GUI is very basic issue I thought there will be simple solution.

and lastly can you prove me any good video tutorial for self learning APEX.

Thanks,
Ashish
Re: Page layout /Item position [message #586342 is a reply to message #586337] Wed, 05 June 2013 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
As of HTML: you don't HAVE TO know anything about it, but it helps if you do. Internet is full of information; I found w3schools.com rather useful. Also, you'd benefit from CSS knowledge as well. Spend some time in discovering these two (HTML & CSS), I believe you won't regret it.

As of the difference between a workspace and Apex as a tool: these things can't be compared (or perhaps I didn't understand the question). "Workspace" is a logical container that contains resources needed to develop an application. "Apex" is a web-based tool you use to develop applications. So ... I don't know how to compare these two.

As of video tutorials: I don't have any, but I've seen quite a few of them on Youtube. Here are some search results.
Re: Page layout /Item position [message #586419 is a reply to message #586342] Thu, 06 June 2013 03:48 Go to previous message
ashishmate

Thanks Lot for your help Littlefoot Smile
Previous Topic: Workbench x Windows 8
Next Topic: Apex forms
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:55:27 CDT 2024