Home » Infrastructure » Unix » Permission problem installing 11g on AIX
Permission problem installing 11g on AIX [message #627361] Tue, 11 November 2014 05:54 Go to next message
11gOP
I'm having some difficulty with permissions when installing 11g on AIX in Silent mode with a Response file. I know little about AIX or Oracle and would appreciate any feedback.

From log file:
INFO: Checking whether the given inventory location /home/oracle/app/oraInventory is user home or not...
SEVERE: [FATAL] [INS-32038] The operating system group specified for central inventory (oraInventory) ownership is invalid.
CAUSE: User performing installation is not a member of the operating system group specified for central inventory(oraInventory) ownership.
ACTION: Specify an operating system group that the installing user is a member of. All the members of this operating system group will have write permission to the central inventory directory (oraInventory).
INFO: Advice is ABORT

Used smitty chuser to set oracle user's home dir to /home/oracle/app/oraInventory.

Next Attempt
Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from /tmp/OraInstall2014-11-11_09 -50-01AM. Please wait ...$ [FATAL] [INS-32036] User home directory is not recomm ended as inventory location
CAUSE: User home directory has been chosen as inventory directory. Oracle rec ommends that the inventory directory is not users home directory, because member s of inventory group will be given write permission to the inventory directory.
ACTION: Choose a directory other than users home as inventory location.
[FATAL] [INS-32035] Unable to create a new central inventory at the specified lo cation.
CAUSE: The central inventory location provided is not empty.
ACTION: Please provide another location for the inventory, or clean up the cu rrent location.
[FATAL] [INS-32038] The operating system group specified for central inventory ( oraInventory) ownership is invalid.
CAUSE: User performing installation is not a member of the operating system g roup specified for central inventory(oraInventory) ownership.
ACTION: Specify an operating system group that the installing user is a membe r of. All the members of this operating system group will have write permission to the central inventory directory (oraInventory).
A log of this session is currently saved as: /tmp/OraInstall2014-11-11_09-50-01A M/installActions2014-11-11_09-50-01AM.log. Oracle recommends that if you want to keep this log, you should move it from the temporary location to a more permane nt location.

$

[Updated on: Tue, 11 November 2014 05:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Permission problem installing 11g on AIX [message #627362 is a reply to message #627361] Tue, 11 November 2014 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum. Please read our OraFAQ Forum Guide and please read How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read

You did not post the command line you used, or the response file (if you used one) so it isn't really possible to assist.
However, what I would do is run the installer interactively, and at the end of the dialogue take the option to generate a response file. Then use that for a silent mode install.
That should mean that you get appropriate validation for all the inputs.
Re: Permission problem installing 11g on AIX [message #627368 is a reply to message #627361] Tue, 11 November 2014 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EdStevens
You changed the "home" directory of the user, but did you check the permissions on that directory? The error message kept talking about permissions.

Do you understand the concept of the "home" directory in *nix? (This is an OS issue that has nothing to do with ORACLE_HOME).
Re: Permission problem installing 11g on AIX [message #627384 is a reply to message #627362] Tue, 11 November 2014 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
11gOP
I'm in a Windows environment so can't use XWindows, hence the Response file (generated on a Linux machine for the same version of Oracle-I went through and checked the paths) and silent mode. I've attached the response file here.

The command I used to run the installer is:
./runInstaller -silent -responseFile /home/aix.ppc64_11gR2_database_1of2/database/response/db_install.rsp

Quote:
did you check the permissions on that directory?

Yes, I think they're right, sorry I didn't think to include them in the OP.

# ls -al /home/oracle/app/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x    3 oracle   oinstall        256 11 Nov 09:50 .
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     system          256 07 Nov 17:41 ..
drwxr-xr-x    2 oracle   oinstall        256 11 Nov 09:49 oraInventory
#
# ls -al /home/oracle/app/oraInventory
total 8
drwxr-xr-x    2 oracle   oinstall        256 11 Nov 09:49 .
drwxr-xr-x    3 oracle   oinstall        256 11 Nov 09:50 ..
-rw-------    1 oracle   oinstall        164 11 Nov 13:21 .sh_history
#

The oracle user is in the oinstall group.
# lsgroup -f oinstall
oinstall:
        id=205
        admin=false
        users=oracle,oracle
        registry=files

#

Re: Permission problem installing 11g on AIX [message #627386 is a reply to message #627384] Tue, 11 November 2014 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
There is no response file attached that I can see. However, if you generated it on a different system, there could be any number of issues.

Really, just get graphics going. You can install VNC on AIX, or if your sysadmin won't do that, install an X-server on your PC. I use Xming, it works well enough.
Re: Permission problem installing 11g on AIX [message #627387 is a reply to message #627386] Tue, 11 November 2014 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>I'm in a Windows environment so can't use XWindows,
nonsense statement above
Re: Permission problem installing 11g on AIX [message #627396 is a reply to message #627387] Tue, 11 November 2014 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
11gOP
Quote:
Really, just get graphics going.

Easier said than done and probably not worth the hassle as we're not likely to be using any GUI interfaces much on there once it is setup.

Quote:
There is no response file attached that I can see.

Sorry, thought I had. Oddly the .rsp file extension is not on the whitelist here so I've changed it to .txt.

Could anyone see anything wrong with the permissions?
The cause in the first error:
Quote:

CAUSE: User performing installation is not a member of the operating system group specified for central inventory(oraInventory) ownership.

Turned out to be this line in the response file:
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Specify the Unix group to be set for the inventory directory.  
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UNIX_GROUP_NAME=oinstall

I'd initially set it to oracle.

Now it looks like it's trying to launch the installer in GUI mode even though I've passed the silent argument?!

$ ./runInstaller -silent -responseFile /home/aix.ppc64_11gR2_database_1of2/datab                                                                             ase/response/db_install.rsp
********************************************************************************

Your platform requires the root user to perform certain pre-installation
OS preparation.  The root user should run the shell script 'rootpre.sh' before
you proceed with Oracle installation.  rootpre.sh can be found at the top level
of the CD or the stage area.

Answer 'y' if root has run 'rootpre.sh' so you can proceed with Oracle
installation.
Answer 'n' to abort installation and then ask root to run 'rootpre.sh'.

********************************************************************************

Has 'rootpre.sh' been run by root? [y/n] (n)
y

Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking Temp space: must be greater than 190 MB.   Actual 893 MB    Passed
Checking swap space: must be greater than 150 MB.   Actual 512 MB    Passed
Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from /tmp/OraInstall2014-11-11_03                                                                             -59-12PM. Please wait ...$ Xlib: connection to "192.9.200.23:0.0" refused by ser                                                                             ver
Xlib: No protocol specified

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun.awt.motif.MToolki                                                                             t (initialization failure)
        at java.lang.J9VMInternals.initialize(J9VMInternals.java:134)
        at java.lang.Class.forNameImpl(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:130)
        at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:864)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:197                                                                             )
        at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:847)
        at javax.swing.UIManager.initialize(UIManager.java:1317)
        at javax.swing.UIManager.maybeInitialize(UIManager.java:1300)
        at javax.swing.UIManager.getUI(UIManager.java:906)
        at javax.swing.JPanel.updateUI(JPanel.java:134)
        at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(JPanel.java:94)
        at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(JPanel.java:117)
        at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(JPanel.java:125)
        at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifo.OiifoOCMUI.<init>(OiifoOCMUI.java:125)
        at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifo.OiifoOCMInterfaceManager.<init>(OiifoOCM                                                                             InterfaceManager.java:79)
        at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifo.OiifoOCMInterfaceManager.getInstance(Oii                                                                             foOCMInterfaceManager.java:124)
        at oracle.install.ivw.db.driver.DBInstaller.run(DBInstaller.java:123)
        at oracle.install.commons.util.Application.startup(Application.java:869)
        at oracle.install.commons.flow.FlowApplication.startup(FlowApplication.j                                                                             ava:164)
        at oracle.install.commons.flow.FlowApplication.startup(FlowApplication.j                                                                             ava:181)
        at oracle.install.commons.base.driver.common.Installer.startup(Installer                                                                             .java:265)
        at oracle.install.ivw.db.driver.DBInstaller.startup(DBInstaller.java:114                                                                             )
        at oracle.install.ivw.db.driver.DBInstaller.main(DBInstaller.java:132)

$

Re: Permission problem installing 11g on AIX [message #627414 is a reply to message #627396] Tue, 11 November 2014 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
So it looks as though your response file is now fixed.

As for the current issue, Perhaps your AIX Java is not running headless. I know that some JVMs just don't do it. If it really is impossible to stop your JVM from looking for a display (even if it doesn't need one) then you will have to point it to a X-server somewhere, anywhere on the planet will do. As I said, use Xming on your PC. Or does your AIX have a virtual console monitor?
Re: Permission problem installing 11g on AIX [message #627478 is a reply to message #627414] Wed, 12 November 2014 04:42 Go to previous message
11gOP
I found unsetting the DISPLAY variable resolved the last issue. I've since encountered another but I'll create a separate thread for that. Thanks for everyone's input and quick responses here.
Previous Topic: How to find alert log location in 10g if database is down.
Next Topic: Oracle 11g installer not detecting enough disk space
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:43:06 CDT 2024