Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » connect from clients in wifi environment (10g, windows 7, developer 6i )
connect from clients in wifi environment [message #650427] Mon, 25 April 2016 03:19 Go to next message
rzkhan
I have three laptops connected to internet using wifi MODEM. They all have configured "Obtain IP Address Automatically". In my tnsnames.ora file i have the following entry

test = 
  (DESCRIPTION = 
    (ADDRESS_LIST = 
        (ADDRESS = 
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = 192.168.10.9)
          (Port = 1521)
        )
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )

It works fine. But each time when server_laptop is restarted, the IP changes and I have to change the HOST address in tnsnames.ora on each client.

When I give hostname in tnsnames.ora as below on clients

(Host = server-laptop)

the connection does NOT work. What can be wrong? any Idea please?

RZKhan

Re: connect from clients in wifi environment [message #650429 is a reply to message #650427] Mon, 25 April 2016 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
What you call your "wifi MODEM" is probably a wireless router. Such things can be configured to assign static addresses, which i what you need to do.

This topic nothing to do with Oracle, and I'll lock it. If you need further assistance, you should go to an appropriate network forum.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 April 2016 05:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: connect from clients in wifi environment [message #650430 is a reply to message #650429] Mon, 25 April 2016 05:51 Go to previous message
John Watson
Sent as a PM -

Quote:

Re: connect from clients in wifi environment Mon, 25 April 2016 11:27
rzkhan
add to buddy list
The issue has been resolved. Thanks

the hostname was to be typed in in upper case letters. like SERVER_LAPTOP.

Thanks

This answer is not incorrect. If you read the RFC describing name resolution you'll see that hostnames are not case sensitive.
Previous Topic: how to connect database in vmware
Next Topic: What should I do so that the listener is reading the configuration from the new ORACLE Installation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:18:46 CDT 2024