Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » PDB upgrade and exclusion lists (12.2 Multitenant)
PDB upgrade and exclusion lists [message #666905] Thu, 30 November 2017 11:45 Go to next message
gatsby
Hey all -

For those running a 12.2 multitenant environment, has anyone used exclusion lists to stagger in CDB/PDB upgrades that might stretch over long periods of time? I believe exclusion lists are a new behavior to 12.2, so I'm trying to better understand what I can do with these. Here is a scenario:

1. I have one CDB that houses two PDBs: PDB-A and PDB-B. Everything is at one patch version.
2. A patch comes out, and I want to apply it to only PDB-A. Let's say PDB-B feeds an application that would break if I apply this patch.
3. I apply the patch to the CDB and to PDB-A. I use an exclusion list to exclude PDB-B.
4. With the upgrade complete and post-upgrade tasks done, I bring up the CDB, PDB-A, and PDB-B.
5. When the app depending on PDB-B gets support for the upgrade, I upgrade PDB-B then...could be months later though.

Is this about right for how exclusion lists could be expected to work? The key behavior I'm interested in is whether the CDB, PDB-A and PDB-B can coexist for long periods when there is variance of the patch levels.

Or is this scenario broken and I'm just leaving this environment in a partially completed upgrade?

Thanks for any help.
Re: PDB upgrade and exclusion lists [message #666915 is a reply to message #666905] Fri, 01 December 2017 02:51 Go to previous message
John Watson
In your step 4, are you intending to open PDB-B in normal mode, not upgrade mode? You can't do that. Those exclusion/inclusion lists are only to prevent Oracle from processing all the PDBs at once.
Previous Topic: PGA memory exceeds PGA_AGGREGATE_LIMIT
Next Topic: Oracle 12c (12.1.0.2 SE) together with Windows 10 "Fast Startup" option
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:01:41 CDT 2024