Home » RDBMS Server » Performance Tuning » Index on order by column (Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production)
Index on order by column [message #671716] Sat, 15 September 2018 09:44 Go to next message
saipradyumn
Hi All,

I had created index on column , but in our query we are not using indexed column in the where condition , but we are using it in the order by clause,

Here my question is will that index will help full when the indexed column is in order by clause ?
If I see the explain plan and cost before and after creating the index , i didn't find much difference

Please help me to understand this

Thanks
Sai Pradyumn

Re: Index on order by column [message #671717 is a reply to message #671716] Sat, 15 September 2018 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
saipradyumn wrote on Sat, 15 September 2018 07:44
Hi All,

I had created index on column , but in our query we are not using indexed column in the where condition , but we are using it in the order by clause,

Here my question is will that index will help full when the indexed column is in order by clause ?
If I see the explain plan and cost before and after creating the index , i didn't find much difference

Thanks
Sai Pradyumn

my car won't go

We can't say what is wrong since you did not show exactly what you have & do.
post DDL for both the table & all involved indexes.
post actual SQL that does not behave they way you expect it perform.
Realize that ORDER BY clause require a sort operation.
INDEX exist to speed up row filtering (WHERE clause) & not ORDER BY clause.

Please read and follow the forum guidelines, to enable us to help you:
OraFAQ Forum Guide
How to use {code} tags and make your code easier to read

Re: Index on order by column [message #671718 is a reply to message #671717] Sat, 15 September 2018 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saipradyumn
Thanks for your interest to solve ths issue .

Following are DDL and DML & Query

DROP TABLE "INDEX_ORDERBY";
CREATE TABLE "INDEX_ORDERBY"
  (
    "BRANCH"           VARCHAR2(3 CHAR) NOT NULL ENABLE,
    "INTERNAL_REF_NUM" VARCHAR2(20 CHAR) NOT NULL ENABLE ,
    DATE_RECEIVED      DATE
  )
  PARTITION BY LIST
  (
    "BRANCH"
  )
  (
    PARTITION "ABC" VALUES
    (
      'ABC'
    )
  );

INSERT INTO INDEX_ORDERBY 
 SELECT  'ABC', LEVEL  , SYSDATE FROM DUAL  CONNECT BY LEVEL  <= 400000;

CREATE INDEX BDX_INDEX_ORDERBY ON INDEX_ORDERBY(BRANCH,INTERNAL_REF_NUM);
 SELECT *
FROM
  (SELECT PAGINATED_TBL.*,
    ROWNUM RNUM
  FROM
    (SELECT
      /*+ parallel (MV 2) */
      BRANCH,
      INTERNAL_REF_NUM
    FROM INDEX_ORDERBY MV  
    ORDER BY INTERNAL_REF_NUM
    ) PAGINATED_TBL
  WHERE ROWNUM <=200
  )
WHERE RNUM >=1;    

Its behaving differently in different scenarios.
Re: Index on order by column [message #671719 is a reply to message #671718] Sat, 15 September 2018 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saipradyumn
Hi Blackswan,

For the above query to get the fast results, we need to apply the index on that partitioned table.

What kind of index is use full for that kind of pagination query .

Do I need to go for the composite index (combination of ref number and branch)
or
Partitioned index ?.If it partitioned index is it global or local ?

But ultimately need to get the fast results by creating the index

Thanks
SaiPradyumn

Re: Index on order by column [message #671720 is a reply to message #671718] Sat, 15 September 2018 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Its behaving differently in different scenarios.

I bet SQL above behaves the same every time it is executed.
Can you prove me wrong?

What problem are you trying to solve?
Re: Index on order by column [message #671721 is a reply to message #671720] Sat, 15 September 2018 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saipradyumn

In uat environment we are getting fast results where as in production its taking long time to execute.

Right now prod have normal index on only the branch column.Even though its taking more time.

My task is reduce the time with the help index. It may be the non partitioned or composite or global or local
what ever it may be with the help of indexes time has to be reduced .

Re: Index on order by column [message #671722 is a reply to message #671721] Sat, 15 September 2018 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
saipradyumn wrote on Sat, 15 September 2018 09:39

In uat environment we are getting fast results where as in production its taking long time to execute.

Right now prod have normal index on only the branch column.Even though its taking more time.

My task is reduce the time with the help index. It may be the non partitioned or composite or global or local
what ever it may be with the help of indexes time has to be reduced .

post EXPLAIN PLAN from both databases.
how many rows in each table?

BTW, so far you have posted ZERO actionable details; only general descriptions
Re: Index on order by column [message #671726 is a reply to message #671718] Sun, 16 September 2018 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
You ORDER BY clause is on INTERNAL_REF_NUM but your index is on BRANCH,INTERNAL_REF_NUM. Unless you include a filter on BRANCH, I do no see how your index can be used other than as an index full scan (or fast full scan) followed by a sort.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 September 2018 04:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Index on order by column [message #671737 is a reply to message #671726] Mon, 17 September 2018 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roachcoach
Try removing the parallel hint, although based on what has been posted I don't expect major gains to be honest.

from the data supplied your options are:

FTS + sort
Index FFS + sort
Index full scan

Breaking these down you're looking at two approaches using multiblock access to read the object and one using single block access. Multiblock is going to win all day when it comes to that. An index FFS+sort might be marginally quicker than a table FTS, but I wouldn't expect miracles given the table described and it'll not do that in parallel (hence my suggesting the hint removal)

Perhaps if you added an access predicate or something else to help the database limit the rows?

All that being said, you seem to have skipped ahead to this approach being the solution to the problem, but is it really the correct solution? Again based on what has been supplied at best this is a band aid which likely won't work long term (if at all).
Re: Index on order by column [message #671754 is a reply to message #671737] Tue, 18 September 2018 02:53 Go to previous message
saipradyumn
Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions.Finally we able to get the improvement by adding wherecondition on branch column and
stats gather on the table before firing this query.

Thank you very much for your valuable suggestions

Thanks
Sai Pradyumn

Previous Topic: Range Scan Index
Next Topic: Pleaese clear my doubt about View and synonym having same name
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:52:23 CDT 2024