Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Connecting to a Remote Oracle Server
Connecting to a Remote Oracle Server [message #66194] Mon, 21 January 2002 20:47 Go to next message
Jeyakumar
Hi,

I have a situation like this...

An Oracle server is running in a machine. That machine is made as a webserver and can be accessed by some www.somename.com
Now i want to access this oracle from a remote place, ie, my client is in seperate domain, and internet is the only mode of communication.

Please guide me in this regard.

thanks,
Jeyakumar.C.K
Re: Connecting to a Remote Oracle Server [message #66195 is a reply to message #66194] Tue, 22 January 2002 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kane
First, get the connection descriptor parameter from the Oracle server, including db name, port number the listener is listening to.
then, use net8 to configure the client's tnsnames.ora file... If you need more help, email me back...

good luck
Re: Connecting to a Remote Oracle Server [message #66210 is a reply to message #66194] Wed, 30 January 2002 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rohit
say if i have 2 oracle servers in a domain...
can i use dblink to connect to specified tables...
if yes pls quote me an example indicatin all the dependencies
Re: Connecting to a Remote Oracle Server [message #66213 is a reply to message #66210] Thu, 31 January 2002 09:36 Go to previous message
Kane
First, in server A, grant create database link to user user_A.

second, log into server A as user_A and create a db link that points to server B like this:

CREATE [[SHARED]] [[PUBLIC]] DATABASE LINK dblink CONNECT TO scott IDENTIFIED BY tiger USING 'net_service_name of server B';

Then, in server A, select * from emp@dblink where ......

Keep in mind that you are connecting to server B with scott/tiger while you are in server A as user_A.

For more information, go to :http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76960/ds_admin.htm#12904
Previous Topic: Re: Getting ORA-01034 Oracle not available error ,even though database is up
Next Topic: TNSNAMES.ORA
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:26:10 CDT 2024