Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » FAILOVER functionality in NET Service
FAILOVER functionality in NET Service [message #66643] Mon, 30 September 2002 04:10 Go to next message
Ricardo Yokoyama
Iīve a box with two IP addresses (two network cards). Itīs a SunFire running solaris 8 and Oracle 9i. Iīm trying to reach it from a Intel/Solaris 8. Iīve noticed the following behaviour when configuring the tnsnames.ora:

db01 =
(DESCRIPTION =
(FAILOVER=on)
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xxx.xxx.xxx.100)(PORT = 1521))
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xxx.xxx.xxx.101)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = db01)
)
)

1) The listener in the first address is not up and running: The Failover works ok using tnsping or sqlplus;
2) The cable is disconnected from the network card of the first address: The tnsping and sqlplus hang forever - no timeout. The failover is to able to switch to the second address.

Is this a configuration (network/Oracle) issue?

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo
Re: FAILOVER functionality in NET Service [message #66645 is a reply to message #66643] Mon, 30 September 2002 15:10 Go to previous message
Ricardo Yokoyama
Actually the failover is working. It happens that I just didnīt wait time enough. Anyway, the 8.1.6 tnsping tries only the first address.

I did the same test between two SUN Fire/Oracle 9i and it worked fine. When I tested in the Intel/Oracle 8i, the process was stuck trying to connect to the socket. The timeout (or retries) in the Intel/Solaris are way higher then in the SUN Fire.

Thanks for your attention.
Previous Topic: SOS!TNS-12206 & TNS-12545 error when access Oracle from telnet-connected Unix platform
Next Topic: XA transaction support
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:11:55 CDT 2024