Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » Solution to Oracle 9i TNS Listener crash on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro configuration
Solution to Oracle 9i TNS Listener crash on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro configuration [message #66948] Fri, 28 March 2003 12:39 Go to next message
Tim Seit
This post concerns Oracle 9i TNS Listener crash on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro configuration.

After starting the TNS Listener and database instance(s), connecting to the instance causes a TNS Listener crash with an error message similar to the following:

TNSLISTENER.EXE Application Error: Memory could not be read/written.

It appears that this error may be related to listener requests for socket connections. We used SpyGuru to view which dlls were being loaded while the Listener was running. In our case we found that in addition to the Microsoft and Oracle dlls, Aventail Autosocks dlls were being loaded. Disabling Autosocks did not resolve the issue as the TNS Listener continued to load its dlls. Completely removing Autosocks and removing all registry entries resolved the TNS Listener crash. One theory suggests that upon installation Autosocks replaced WinSock as the default socket connection provider.

If you are seeing this issue, view which dlls are being loaded when the Listener starts and pay particular attention to non-Oracle and non-Microsoft dlls. Chances are there are third party dlls which are competing for socket resources.
Re: Solution to Oracle 9i TNS Listener crash on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro configuration [message #67262 is a reply to message #66948] Tue, 16 March 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Harvey A. Weiss
I have a similar problem installing Oracle 9i Database on a Windows XP Pro machine. In my case, I get the generic xp message: "TNSLSNR.exe has a problem and has to close". I've downloaded SpyGuru and would like to use it to try to debug this problem. But when you say "view which dlls are being loaded when Listener starts", can you provide any indications of how you do this? Is this just visually noticing new entries in SpyGuru's display of modules, or is there some way to have them flagged?
Re: Solution to Oracle 9i TNS Listener crash on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro configuration [message #67374 is a reply to message #67262] Wed, 09 June 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Black
Defo related to spyware. Remove all spyware using spybot and then run this to fix some system dlls:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Re: Solution to Oracle 9i TNS Listener crash on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro [message #109002 is a reply to message #66948] Mon, 21 February 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maya Pedersen
I know this is a late reply, but I've just had the same error and were out of my wits the last four days as to what to do, so here's a possible solution for others who might be in the same situation and have the same setup as I:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm

This site in general has a lot to offer to windowsusers also for those with winsock errors. I found and used the following command (in a dos prompt):

netsh winsock reset catalog

Supposedly it only works for winXP sp2 users but what it does is it resets all socket information to default. As for me.. I'm a happy camper once more :)

Good luck,

Maya
Re: Solution to Oracle 9i TNS Listener crash on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro [message #196816 is a reply to message #109002] Sat, 07 October 2006 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goodman_us
the command worked for me !!

" netsh winsock reset catalog"

my pc was affected by a malware which caused the winsock to be malformed.
thanks a lot !!
Re: Solution to Oracle 9i TNS Listener crash on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro [message #214698 is a reply to message #109002] Wed, 17 January 2007 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rupes
I've had the same problem and this worked a treat

Thanks for the information !
Re: Solution to Oracle 9i TNS Listener crash on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro [message #284057 is a reply to message #109002] Wed, 28 November 2007 12:15 Go to previous message
ncdeans
Maya - THANK YOU!!!

I've been tearing my hair out for days trying to fix this dang problem and swearing up and down that I was going to switch to MS-SQL Server (which never gives me anywhere near the stress that Oracle gives me). In fact I was getting ready to make the call when I saw your suggestion... And it worked!

You probably saved my team a month of conversion work. Thank you so much!

- Nigel
Previous Topic: JDBC thin Exception
Next Topic: ora-12154
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:51:22 CDT 2024