Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » client connection to a remote oracle server
client connection to a remote oracle server [message #67312] Thu, 22 April 2004 16:04 Go to next message
Vilas Dharod
I am trying to connect to a remote oracle server, I have oracle clients like sqlplus and sqlplus worksheet running on my local machine ( Windows XP)

How can i get sqlplus worksheet to connect to a remote oracle server?

Thank YOu

Re: client connection to a remote oracle server [message #67317 is a reply to message #67312] Wed, 28 April 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Srinath
Hi:

To connect to remote oracle server you need to check two things first.
1. the listner should be running at the server end.
(hope the database is up and running as well listner)

at the client side you should configure your tnsnames.ora

you will find that in oracle_home/network/admin folder.
(you will also have a sample file in it you can modify it accordingly)
there you need to specify the sid,protocol like tcp/ip,and port number of the server , this we can call as configuring the alias......

if you configure like this.....try whether you are able to tnsping the server with alias name
by typing
tnsping alias name from command prompt

if you get the reply then you can connect to the remote server

Hope this helps,

Thank you.
Srinath
Re: client connection to a remote oracle server [message #67330 is a reply to message #67317] Thu, 06 May 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vishal Dharod
Srinath: Thanks for your reply. I changed the tnsnames.ora file to add the new oracle server i am trying to connect to. But it still gives me a error saying TNS LISTENER could not resolve the SERVICE_NAME. The remote oracle server is running on unix and i am trying to connect sqlplus worksheet with that remote server. I am running Windowz Xp.

Any clues?
Re: client connection to a remote oracle server [message #67538 is a reply to message #67312] Wed, 22 September 2004 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ymvageesh@yahoo.com
Hi

I am using a suse client and a suse server.
I have configured the Lister and its u and running.
I have configured tnsnames.ora and tnsping works.
The database is SHUTDOWN and I want to START.
I have a pfile at client place in which have specified the spfile=path/filename parameter.
Now I try to say
sqlplus "sys/password@connect as sysdba"
It says insufficient priveleges
Oerr ora 1031 insufficient Priveleges

Could you please help
Vageesh
Re: client connection to a remote oracle server [message #67668 is a reply to message #67538] Mon, 20 December 2004 06:05 Go to previous message
Fred Gisbert
Hello Vageesh,

The first thing to connect as SYSDBA is to insert your own SuSe login in the 'dba' group via an insert in the file /etc/group. More informations are on this website :
http://home.clara.net/dwotton/dba/ora1031.htm

Unfortunatelly, I cannot do the same via a remote connection (Oracle Enterprise manager, Toad, sqlplus ..).

It seems this technical tip only apply for local SYSDBA connection (i.e. sqlplus session on the same machine than the Oracle server host). If you find how to proceed, please let me know. I'll do the same if I catch the answer ...
Previous Topic: failover configuration
Next Topic: Failover mechanism does not fire.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 05:55:38 CDT 2024