Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » data transfer between different versions
data transfer between different versions [message #69772] Mon, 04 March 2002 13:02 Go to next message
ceycey
Hi,I wondered that if it is possible to import data, that is exported on a different operating system? I also wondered the rules for that.
For example can I import the data, that was exported by Personal edition 8.1.7 on Win98, to personal edition 8.1.7 on WinNt?
For example can I transfer (import/ export) data between server and personal versions of Oracle database?
Thanks.Regards.
Re: data transfer between different versions [message #69776 is a reply to message #69772] Mon, 04 March 2002 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Willis
Yes and NO,

If the oracle versions are compatible, then yes but the OS could be different. You may have to import from the originating Server remotely to the receiving database.

For example, When I want to export data from version 8.1.7 running on SUN or HPUX to my personal database 8.1.7 on win2000, I have to run the import from the Sun server. That worked for me. (I believe that was the direction anyway, it's been awhile)

Hope this helped.

Jim
Re: data transfer between different versions [message #70195 is a reply to message #69772] Mon, 29 April 2002 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert
I found the following info at www.informit.com

Optimizing Oracle Export and Import
by Meghraj Thakkar
NOV 06, 2000

Oracle provides the Export/Import utility combination for data transfer. The entire data transfer procedure can take a very long time for very large databases. Oracle expert Megh Thakkar shows several techniques that can be used to improve the performance of Export/Import.

Oracle provides the Export/Import utility combination for data transfer. The entire data transfer procedure can take a very long time for very large databases. Oracle expert Megh Thakkar shows several techniques that can be used to improve the performance of Export/Import.

You can populate an Oracle database with information from various sources. Oracle provides several utilities to facilitate the loading and unloading of data from the database.

Oracle provides the Export/Import utility combination for data transfer. Export generates an Oracle proprietary file that contains the necessary data and information to perform the data transfer. The dump file generated from Export can be read only by the Import utility. The entire data transfer procedure can take a very long time for very large databases. This article shows several techniques that can be used to improve the performance of Export/Import.

The Export dump file is in a binary format; it's not editable, but you can use a text editor to view portions of this file. The dump file contains data, as well as all the DDL commands to re-create the data dictionary. Editing the export dump file will lose some binary information, making the file unusable.

For the most part, export dump files aren't specific to a version of Oracle. Dump files also aren't OS-specific; as a result, you can use Export/Import to transfer data between databases on different platforms.

Export/Import can be used to move information as follows:

Between databases on the same version of Oracle

Between databases on different versions of Oracle

Between databases on different operating system platforms

From one schema to another schema

From one tablespace to another tablespace

In the entire database
Re: data transfer between different versions [message #72252 is a reply to message #70195] Wed, 23 April 2003 23:38 Go to previous message
bimohann
ur info isn't true. imp/exp can't work between different versions of oracle. i expirienced this problem while i tried to use exp from higher version 8.1.6.0.0. and then use imp from 8.1.5.0.0
Previous Topic: Oracle RedoLog File ERROR
Next Topic: Size of OPEN_CURSORS in INITSID.ORA
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 18 06:25:33 CDT 2024