Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Keep getting ORA-12560 & ORA-12514 Errors
Keep getting ORA-12560 & ORA-12514 Errors [message #72244] Wed, 23 April 2003 02:38 Go to next message
Ozkan Erdogan
I installed oracle 9i dbase and 9i ds on my home computer running Windows XP. I am trying to connect using designer and sqlplus but getting : ora-12514. listener couldn't resolve service name...I have orahome and orahome1 directories which both have tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files and both reside on same drive. Orahome installed with db and other was installed with developer suite.

I numerously changed listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files to agree on sid's to no avail. I set local , oracle_sid environment variables to point to my database which I named 'global' during install. I tried ORCL which was already there, but it gives same error. I can't even create a new database cause I am getting ORA-12560 Tns Adapter error message before it gets created. I tried from command prompt to create database , but I still can't connect to it because of above mentioned TNS error. I read many messages here to find a solution, tried most of them but could not solve it.

Is there a standard routine that could be done to overcome this problem or how should this be done? How can tracing help and how can I start tracing? Does it give a complete picture of how to solve it?
After tons of data installed on my pc, it feels awful.

Thanks for any input.
Re: Keep getting ORA-12560 & ORA-12514 Errors [message #72245 is a reply to message #72244] Wed, 23 April 2003 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
rename all your existing listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora to something else.
create a new listener.
add tnsnentries using net assistent.
if this is not helping you, please post your sqlnet.ora,listener.ora and tnsnames.ora
Re: Keep getting ORA-12560 & ORA-12514 Errors [message #72247 is a reply to message #72245] Wed, 23 April 2003 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ozkan Erdogan
Thank you for your reply. I tried that but it doesn't work. I created a new listener but I couldn't add net service names because it popped ORA-12514 error. (couldn't resolve service name). Here are my files. thsnames.ora is the old file becoz I was't able to create any new, others are new ones I created.

# LİSTENER.ORA Network Configuration File: D:OraHomenetworkadminlistener.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SID_LIST_LISTENTOME =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = D:OraHome)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
)

LISTENTOME =
(DESCRIPTION_LIST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = erdogan)(PORT = 1521))
)
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC2))
)
)
)
---------
# SQLNET.ORA Network Configuration File: D:OraHomenetworkadminsqlnet.ora

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (ONAMES, TNSNAMES)
------------
# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: D:OraHomenetworkadmintnsnames.ora

GLOBAL_GLOBAL =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = global)
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
)
)

GLOBAL_ORCL =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = ORCL)
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
)
)

EXTPROC_CONNECTİON_DATA =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC2))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)
)
)
Re: Keep getting ORA-12560 & ORA-12514 Errors [message #72248 is a reply to message #72247] Wed, 23 April 2003 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
comment out these entries in sqlnet.ora and try again
# SQLNET.ORA Network Configuration File: D:OraHomenetworkadminsqlnet.ora
#SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
#NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (ONAMES, TNSNAMES)

Re: Keep getting ORA-12560 & ORA-12514 Errors [message #72250 is a reply to message #72248] Wed, 23 April 2003 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ozkan Erdogan
Didn't work. Didn't change anything. I get the "can't resolve service name" error on creating a new service name and I ger ora-12560, tns adapter error on creating a new dbase. Thanks.

What should I do "step by step" to connect to a database through sql or designer. I mean I have 3 variables in hand,username/psw.connect string. So the root of the problem should be in one or more of these. I use scott/tiger, ORCL or global. What is the logical way to look at this. I can see that ORCL or global (the datasbe I connect) has to be in tnsnames.ora which is already in there. So, what else could be missing? Thanks for your input.
Re: Keep getting ORA-12560 & ORA-12514 Errors [message #73663 is a reply to message #72250] Tue, 15 June 2004 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zen
change SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
to SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)
Re: Keep getting ORA-12560 & ORA-12514 Errors [message #111716 is a reply to message #72244] Fri, 18 March 2005 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srao
Hi

I seem to be having the sam problem as you. I have installed Oracle 9i DB with Oracle 10g Developer suite. I am not able to hook up to the DB via developer suite applications (eg thru sqlplus or Jdeveloper etc) It gives me the same error Ora-12514 TNS service not found.

Tried out all the tips given here but nothing worked.

Would appreciate if you can share your troubleshooting tips.

Thanks
Suma
Re: Keep getting ORA-12560 & ORA-12514 Errors [message #169643 is a reply to message #111716] Thu, 27 April 2006 22:06 Go to previous message
mohitsaini
Hi,

I was also getting the same error message.
My scenario was that I was able to connect to the Oracle 10.2.0.1 DB earlier. But in between this message starting come on its own!

My initial instance name was ICDB (when I was able to connect to the database).
But after this error, the name of the instance was changed to ICDB1 (and ICDB was also present). I was unable to connect to the DB either through ICDB or ICDB1.

I deleted the new entry of ICDB1 from tnsnames.ora and tried to contact the DB again. And it worked.

Hope this may help others.

Regards,
Mohit Saini
Previous Topic: Importing data from dbf file of Foxpro to Oracle 10g
Next Topic: problem to load data TO ORACLE (merged 3 cross-posts)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 08:59:49 CDT 2024