Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » How to export tables directly to tape device in AIX?
How to export tables directly to tape device in AIX? [message #72326] Sat, 17 May 2003 15:15 Go to next message
Ramesh Viswanathan
Can any one help me in exporting the oracle 8.1.7. tables to tape device in AIX 4.3 and i want to veiw the content of the tape too after taking the export.
Also the i will be keep on taking the export in the same tape, how to append the table data in the tape.

try to give the commmand with examples....

Regards
Ramesh
Re: How to export tables directly to tape device in AIX? [message #72329 is a reply to message #72326] Sat, 17 May 2003 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
you can do it directly or by using pipes.
Oracle strongly recomends NOT TO EXPORT directly to tapes.
the syntax would be something like this ...
exp username/passcode file=/dev/rmt/0M volsize=50M
where
file=/dev/rmt/0M is the tape device
once the export done upto 50M ( or anyvalue u want, that is less the size of to-be-exported file else
use volsize=0 the file shall fit in a single tape)

Re: How to export tables directly to tape device in AIX? [message #72331 is a reply to message #72329] Sat, 17 May 2003 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ramesh Viswanathan
thanks mr.mahesh rajendran,
i am able to export the tables directly to tape device using the command said by u, but the problem is i am unable to view the content of the tape. more over if want to take export on daily basis to the same tape ...will it append the content or overwrites????

can u help me in this...or suggest some URL for this..

thanks & regards
Ramesh
Re: How to export tables directly to tape device in AIX? [message #72332 is a reply to message #72331] Sat, 17 May 2003 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
i beleive, it overwrites.
thats why, we always have a pool of serially named tapes for ROTATION.
To see the contents of the tapes
please refer this link
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/computing/info/unixintro_htmldir/node16.html
Re: How to export tables directly to tape device in AIX? [message #72333 is a reply to message #72331] Sat, 17 May 2003 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
NOPE....i was wrong as i was looking into somehting else.
quoting the docs
"
Be careful if you already have files on the tape, 
since [b]UNIX will start writing wherever the tape is 
positioned[/b]. You can skip to the end of the last 
file using the appropriate tape manipulation program 
(see below) and then start writing. "

Re: How to export tables directly to tape device in AIX? [message #72334 is a reply to message #72332] Sat, 17 May 2003 17:56 Go to previous message
Ramesh Viswanathan
.....since i had exported the entire schema in to the tape (directly written the content in tape.)..i was unable to use tar to read the content of the tape...when i try to give the following command from the unix
# tar -tvf /dev/rmt0
system giving the following message
tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 16908288 not equal to 6696.

help me ....

thanks & regards
Ramesh
Previous Topic: Skip Duplicates with SQL*Loader
Next Topic: How to take cold backup of oracle database which is in raw partition?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 13:02:39 CDT 2024