Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » 8i slow after 8.05 migration
8i slow after 8.05 migration [message #74243] Mon, 18 October 2004 19:26 Go to next message
saustin
- Hi,
   After migrating an 8.05 db to 8i on an NT box the performance is noticeably slower !

Did change the  db_files = 400  (from 1200) and  increased the #db_block_buffers = 12800 to db_block_buffers = 25600
but doind a quick toad dba <A class=iAs style="COLOR: darkgreen; BORDER-BOTTOM: darkgreen 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; TEXT-DECORATION: underline" href="http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=936150#" target=_blank>server[/url] stat's still shows that the number of db_files may still be too high. How are most of you determining what the optimum size is ? Does this really make a huge difference in 8i (versus the old 8.05) ?

<A class=iAs style="COLOR: darkgreen; BORDER-BOTTOM: darkgreen 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; TEXT-DECORATION: underline" href="http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=936150#" target=_blank>Linux[/url] conversion will take place in January but do need to limp along until then.

Any suggestions (or moral support) appreciated !

Thanks, Steve. -

-
-
Re: 8i slow after 8.05 migration [message #74244 is a reply to message #74243] Tue, 19 October 2004 03:34 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>After migrating an 8.05 db to 8i on an NT box the >>performance is noticeably slower !
how did you migrate? ( which method, details?).

which performance are you mentioning here?

Overall database performance or a set of queries?
Do you have a statspack report or any other metric to compare before and after the upgrade?

is there is change in the block size?
is there any change in initsid.ora?
Db_files has nothing to do with performance.
and Increasing db_block_buffers is NOT always required.
Previous Topic: How to compile an OCI aplication on (sunOS) UNIX ?
Next Topic: SQL Loader.again
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 01 08:09:45 CDT 2024