Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » external table. Data not fetching
external table. Data not fetching [message #74368] Mon, 29 November 2004 23:09 Go to next message
sujit
Hi,

I am having to create some external tables (organization external) and then insert data into some main table.

I simply have to do an INSERT INTO MAIN_TABLE

SELECT F1, F2, F3, SEQ_MAIN.NEXTVAL, SYSDATE, 'COMPANY_NAME' FROM TEMPORARY_TABLE;

Well, it works fine. But invariably, I find that once or twice a day, the data from the temporary table is not getting inserted. The other values like the sequence, date value, hardcoded value like the company name etc are getting in... And the temporary table is properly being read can be identified from the fact that the number of records inserted into MAIN_TABLE is exactly the number of records in the temporary table... This is weird.

this is being done manually... And I can check it out. So I do the insert into operation again. But soon, I'm gonna automate this process. But this peril would prevent me from doing that... how to avoid this?

Notes:

1. I am not looking forward to doing away with external tables and using sqlldr etc.

2. I have an average size of the records in input at about 7000 records.

TIA,

Sujit Mahapatra
Re: external table. Data not fetching (My Mistake) [message #74378 is a reply to message #74368] Wed, 01 December 2004 06:02 Go to previous message
sujit
Hi Friends,
Please ignore the earlier posting... Sorry to have bothered all...

I found that one of our procedures is actually wrongly updating the fields to blank after the data is loaded.
This was a late discovery and a very subtle but dangerous bug in an update query.

And sorry to have blamed external table for a moment.

Thanks,

Sujit
Previous Topic: Using SQLLDR
Next Topic: Can't open database because of a datafile deleted
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 08:35:53 CDT 2024