Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Unable to login to oracle using SQL
Unable to login to oracle using SQL [message #74523] Sat, 25 December 2004 00:04 Go to next message
laxmi
I've successfully installed Oracle 10g on my windows '98 system. After that, i triedto login into oracle to create tables in my database using SQL Plus. But i'm unable to login. What's the user id, password and hoststring that i need to give and where can i find them. Pls help. It may sound very simple. But i'm struggling hard for a long time.

I tried with SYS and SYSTEM as user names. I've given the password same as the one i entered while installing oracle. Host name i've given 'localhost' as it's not connected to any network.

Thanks a lot!!
Re: Unable to login to oracle using SQL [message #74526 is a reply to message #74523] Sat, 25 December 2004 13:03 Go to previous message
Barbara Boehmer
I don't have 10g. I am still using 9i. But, since 9i, if you login as SYS or SYSTEM, you must do so as SYSDBA. Also, you should not need to supply the 'localholst' connect string, since it is a home system, so it will choose it by default. So, from your operating system prompt, you could enter:

sqlplusw.exe "system/your_system_password as sysdba"

or from a SQL*Plus login screen, you can put the whole thing in the username box:

system/your_system_password as sysdba

or you can put this in the username box:

system

and this in the password box:

your_system_password as sysdba

I have heard that 10g no longer installs the scott/tiger shcema by default.
Previous Topic: any limitations for table spaces memory sizes for users ?
Next Topic: parameterfiles in switchover
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 08:32:32 CDT 2024