Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Is export/import reliable for 600gb data?
Is export/import reliable for 600gb data? [message #74544] Tue, 04 January 2005 20:51 Go to next message
Prasanna Sreenivasa Kumar
Hi,
I am sreenivasa Kumar.
Is export/import is reliable for 600gb data ?? I want down time should be less for production database ??? Is there any better method for loading huge data??
Please suggest me.
Thank you,
Re: Is export/import reliable for 600gb data? [message #74545 is a reply to message #74544] Wed, 05 January 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> I want down time should be less for production database ?
>>Is there any better method for loading huge data??

Depends on what you are trying to do.

Upto 9i , export / import is a slow process. With 10g export ing with pumps (data pump) is introduced and is better. Export / import is NOT a backup, though can be considered as a backup in wide.

It all depends on what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to move data between diferent OS versions, exp/imp is handy, though painful.
If you are trying to use exp/imp as backup tool, Your production database is very vulnerable. ( in case VLDB's the export or import may take days (if not months)). Export IS NOT a backup.
For me With a pretty decent server (oracle 9i on a two node RAC each with 8 CPU's , 32Gb RAM) to create a 4GB dump file it is taking around 20-30 minutes (exporting with default options).
To import it will take longer ( first to import just data and later to recreate the indexes).
Re: Is export/import reliable for 600gb data? [message #74546 is a reply to message #74545] Wed, 05 January 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prasanna Sreenivasa Kumar
Hi Mahesh Rajendran ,
Thank you very much.
My requirement is to migrate database oracle 8.0.4 to oracle 9.2.0.5 version. Now our production database is already running on 8.0.4 version. we have to migrate oracle 8.0.4 version to oracle 9.2.0.5 version in new database.
For this migration we are following step by step approach. First we will do migration Oracle 8.0.4 to Oracle 8.0.6 version after that Oracle 8.0.6 version to Oracle 9.2.0.5 version.After that new database will become production database.
For data loading what methos we need to choose. Data loading we need to shutdown producton database .We are updating OS also.currently is running Sun solaris 2.6 and we are going to update to sun solaris 2.8.
600gb data has to upload in new database.So we are bothering about production downtime.
can u plaase suggest me what methods we need to follow for data loading....
Is export/import reliable ???
If any errors occur in export/import production downtime surely increase. How to reduce this production downtime??. What measures we need to take care???.
Is there any suggested method for this ???
Thanks in advance.
regards,
prasanna.
Re: Is export/import reliable for 600gb data? [message #74549 is a reply to message #74546] Wed, 05 January 2005 05:27 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Your database size is 600Gb.
How much is your actual data ( 600gb - (acutual space used).?
and here
actualspaceused = actual_space_occupied ( NOT allocated size of tablespaces/datafiles)
and
actual_space_occupied = Just_table_data ( not index-data).

reason is exp will export the table data.
The "index-data" is not exported.
Only the DDL of the indexes / constraints are exported.
The indexes are recreated after import of table data.
So it may take MORE time to import and to recreate all the indexes etc...
You have to consider all.

I have no idea about Your invironment.
You can speed the export process to someextent.
But it ... is what it is.!!.

The export / import prcecdure is reliable.
Your migration path is right.
8.0.4 to 8.0.6 to 9i.
direct Upgrade using exp/imp will work good ONLY if the data is straight forward (simple data, simple stored procs etc). If you use any intermedia/text options or any special, you may have some trouble.
Previous Topic: URGENT:-Export problem
Next Topic: How do I copy just the data from one db to another?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 08:21:10 CDT 2024