Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Dynamically Populating View Data based on User
Dynamically Populating View Data based on User [message #116378] Tue, 19 April 2005 14:31 Go to next message
Steve Corey
I have implemented some security features to some custom forms by dynamically populating a view based on calls to the FND_GLOBAL.RESP_ID and FND_GLOBAL.USER_ID as well as the HR_tables, AK_ATTRIBUTE table, and FND_USER tables.

The way it works is that my view sits (defined) in the DB holding no data. When a user launches the form through the application, I run some code that analyzes the user and their responsibility, and then populates the view based on what those values are. The rows populated into the view are based on whoever that user has "assigned" to them in the DB, thereby effectively limiting the user to query records of other users to only those who are "assigned". Does this sound like an effective security measure as far as limiting end-user mistakes and possible corruption of data? Have others used this method before and would you recommend it to others? Feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!
Steve

PS - I will share the entire method if it will help give a more clear picture of what I am actually doing.
Re: Dynamically Populating View Data based on User [message #116805 is a reply to message #116378] Fri, 22 April 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Why don't you use built-in Oracle security features?
Label security for example?

MHE
Re: Dynamically Populating View Data based on User [message #116854 is a reply to message #116378] Fri, 22 April 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Corey
I will look into it to see if it is a viable option. Thanks Maaher.

Steve
Re: Dynamically Populating View Data based on User [message #116860 is a reply to message #116854] Fri, 22 April 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
Another option would be fine-grained access control.

MHE
Re: Dynamically Populating View Data based on User [message #116863 is a reply to message #116378] Fri, 22 April 2005 10:20 Go to previous message
Steve Corey
Yea, we are having some difficulty with our fine-grain integration. Something happened to the controls and we've currently taken out the FGAC so we can analyze and fix the problem, but that seems to be on the plate of our DBA and his plate is completely full right now so the FGAC is on hold as of now (we are not live yet). Maybe it is something we can change when we move into Phase II. Thanks for the input Maaher!

Regards,
Steve
Previous Topic: rule / format for the username and password
Next Topic: restricted access in Oracle ???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:43:27 CDT 2024