Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Is IMPORT & EXPORT is platform dependent?
Is IMPORT & EXPORT is platform dependent? [message #118813] Mon, 09 May 2005 01:04 Go to next message
puneetsachar

Please help me to find the soultion for this,,,,

I'll explain u my problem....

1. I have a Unix server Running Oracle 7.2
2. I have a user called 'Namankan' on Oracle DB
3. I have to shift the entire tables of user 'Namankan' from this System to a new server running Windows XP (or NT) with Oracle 8 (Not 8i)

If you are going to suggest me that I spool the entire data into text files and import them by running SQL*Loader in the new system, Pls dont suggest....... coz i) Data is too large, ii) Table level validations in database will not allow the data to go in

I have tried making a .dmp file using exp command on Unix Machine with default parameters, and have exported the entire data into a file called Intecons.dmp which is 175 MB, zipped into 28MB

Then I have taken this file onto Windows system with Oracle 8 and tried to import it through Imp80 command

It says

* Invalid Header Information, OS different (some such 2-3 lines)

As suggested by someone in a yahoo chat room, I Have tried to change the header information in .dmp file using a hex editor, I matched it to same as it was in a sample .dmp I made using exp80 command on my windows machine.......... Sometimes, it asks 2-3 questions and after replies starts dumping junk......... sometimes it hangs the system

I also came across to a data extraction program NXTract, however, its similar to spooling of files, even if it extracts data from .dmp file, so it is useless for me

Puneet Sachar
Re: Is IMPORT & EXPORT is platform dependent? [message #118870 is a reply to message #118813] Mon, 09 May 2005 08:21 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> I Have tried to change the header information in .dmp file using a hex editor,
That is the most recomended method to loose your oracle support.

EXPORT / IMPORT is the ONLY METHOD to move data between databases in DIFFERENT Operating Systems.

Your Oracle versions are different.
so, use the lower version to export (7.x) from 7.x database.
use the same lower version (7.x) imp to import into 8.x database
or
You need to install 7.x export/import views in 8.x database.

so from unix machine
exp dba/user@7xdb owner=scott file=mydump.dmp
imp dba/user@8xdb fromuser=scott touser=anotherscott file=mydump.dmp

if you want MOVE the dmp from UNIX to windows machine,
Make sure FTP the file in BIN mode.
Else you corrupt the dump file.
Use caution while using tar/zip/cpio etc. YOU MAY corrupt the file , if you dont apply proper methods.

>>If you are going to suggest me that I spool the entire data into text files and import them by running SQL*Loader in the new system,
That is doltish.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 May 2005 08:28]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: DATAFILE SYSTEM IN STATUS SYSOFF
Next Topic: SQL LOADER PROBLEM
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 08:30:09 CDT 2024