Home » RDBMS Server » Security » ORA-01031: insufficient privileges when conn sys/password as sysdba
icon5.gif  ORA-01031: insufficient privileges when conn sys/password as sysdba [message #132670] Mon, 15 August 2005 10:57 Go to next message
stepheng
Hi ,

When I use conn / as sysdba on the Linux Server itself through SQLPlus it connects fine , because Im logged in as root.

However , when I connect from a remote PC i get the above error...

I get the same error when i try connect to OEM from another Server.

Any ideas? ( Its like the SYS user isnt granted the dba or sysdba role?)

Cheers

Stephen

Using Oracle 9.2.0.5
Re: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges when conn sys/password as sysdba [message #132673 is a reply to message #132670] Mon, 15 August 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JSI2001
Hi
have a look at the thread http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/49785/68488/ i.e. the one that was at the very top of the list when you posted this. The last post might be useful.
Jim
Re: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges when conn sys/password as sysdba [message #132674 is a reply to message #132670] Mon, 15 August 2005 11:10 Go to previous message
alliejane
When you log on from the server itself the database is using Operating Authentication, that is Oracle checks that the user you've logged onto the server as is a member of an OS group called dba (or oradba), if it is then you can use the "as sysdba" and you get access.

This will of course not work if your on a client - the database had no real way of checking your client OS user (you can set REMOTE_OS_AUTHENTICATION = TRUE but thats not recommended) the recommended way of using sysdba from a client is by setting up a password file.

You do this by running the utility orapwd from a command line.

orapwd file=$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapwsid password=secure entries=5

This will automatically create a password file with the sys user in it, and allow you to log on remotely using

connect sys/secure@db as sysdba

Hope that helps

Allie

Previous Topic: Problem with connect / as sysdba
Next Topic: tool for mixing table data in a test database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:05:23 CDT 2024