Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Creating a test database as an exact replica of my production database
Creating a test database as an exact replica of my production database [message #143734] Fri, 21 October 2005 14:38 Go to next message
khmelen
Hello.

I'd like to create a duplicate schema once and then, afterwards, update the tables daily so that the date is up to date (give or take 24 hours). The main reason I'd like to do this is to test some application features that have been newly developed. Eventually, I'd like to use this schema to run the more intensive queries that can't be run simultaneously but need to be run against the exact data set so that the counts are in sync.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Creating a test database as an exact replica of my production database [message #143751 is a reply to message #143734] Fri, 21 October 2005 18:16 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
Many options, depending on your need.
Ideally, you need to look into replication.
Or atleast using some materialized views, to refresh data from DB1.schema1 to DB2.Schema2.
Depending on your Version you can also use Streams ( to pick only the changed records).
In my case i have a 60gb financial database being duplicated to test area in another machine every day, automatically.
I use RMAN. It takes less than 30 minutes and absolutely no overhead / load on the production database.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 October 2005 18:18]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Oracle tools
Next Topic: sql loader problem: trailing nullcols
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 01 13:14:12 CDT 2024