Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » RAC over long distance nodes
RAC over long distance nodes [message #145312] Wed, 02 November 2005 07:04 Go to next message
schpalli
Hi
I have a doubt about implementing RAC (for oracle 10g rel2 database on sun sparc machines) where the nodes in the cluster will be separated by distance of around 400 KM. First of all is it possible? Coming to the scenario, we have a stand by machine for our production m/c at a remote site. In case of normal operations this stand by machine is being used from disaster recovery point, with oracle data guard implementation.
I know that RAC is meant for scalability and high availability where as data guard is for DR purpose. If we need to utilise the power of stand by m/c, I thought of going for RAC with production and stand by m/c as nodes in cluster. But I am stuck with the distance at which the stand by machine is located. Is it possible to have a RAC node at such a long distance. Then even if it possible, how good will be it's real performance? I have no idea on these. Any info on this?

If this is implemented then I have to find a solution for implementing disaster recovery in this new scenario, which will be a tough one.

Thanks
Sri
Re: RAC over long distance nodes [message #145315 is a reply to message #145312] Wed, 02 November 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>> nodes in the cluster will be separated by distance of around 400 KM

And you can provide a 400km fibre interconnect between nodes too?
What happens if this '400 km' supply line was compromised?
Re: RAC over long distance nodes [message #151464 is a reply to message #145312] Wed, 14 December 2005 23:26 Go to previous message
sharan alva
RAC does not have any limitation. The limitation resides with the HW and network , as previously mentioned do you have 400 KM fibre channel support for interconnect and shared storage ... If these can be provided with acceptable performance / latency etc they yes you can have RAC set up ... but realistically !!!? for production ....
Previous Topic: Platform Of RAC
Next Topic: db creation in cluster db
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:28:15 CDT 2024