Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » Character Set Conversion
icon5.gif  Character Set Conversion [message #168826] Sun, 23 April 2006 08:43 Go to next message
woods
Hi,

I am a developer in a software company and am overseeing the conversion of all of our clients' databases from character set WE8ISO8850P1 to UTF8 (or more specifically AL32UTF8). Most clients are still on 9i but a couple are on 10g. I have managed to convert one of our development databases without record loss but have a couple of questions as to whether I have taken the best path.

I cleaned up the data, based on csscan results, then performed a full export. When importing to a new instance of the database (created with CHARACTERSET = AL32UTF8) Oracle spat the dummy with the import error IMP-0019 based on ORA-00401 meaning the values inserted were too large for the column.

The records rejected had data with accented characters, which will consume more than 1 byte in utf8. Knowing that Oracle doesn't trim spaces in char data types - I realised that any multi-byte character in a char data type was going to expand the overall length of the value and cause the error when importing to the AL32UTF8 database.

My workaround was to re-create the new AL32UTF8 database adding the initialisation parameter BLANK_TRIMMING = TRUE. This allowed all data to be successfully imported.

My questions are:
1). Is AL32UTF8 the best utf-8 character set to convert to?
2). Are there any side-effects on the day-to-day running of the database by setting the BLANK_TRIMMING to TRUE?
3). Is there an alternative method (to the BLANK_TRIMMING method) I could have used to successfully import all data - bearing in mind we cannot just increase the length of column names ad hoc as we maintain a generic database structure for all of our clients.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Stew.
Re: Character Set Conversion [message #169820 is a reply to message #168826] Fri, 28 April 2006 19:45 Go to previous message
nmacdannald
I like WE8ISO8850P1. It is a superset of many charsets. I have changed charsets using export/import with no problems.
Previous Topic: problem to load data TO ORACLE (merged 3 cross-posts)
Next Topic: DBMS_STATS.SET_INDEX_STATS error during import
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 09:33:08 CDT 2024