Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » sqlplus shows password in clear text under cygwin
sqlplus shows password in clear text under cygwin [message #170510] Thu, 04 May 2006 02:33 Go to next message
hellcat
Hi,

I'm using cygwin on a WinXP box (cause I'm missing the Unix tools). If I call sqlplus from cmd (windows) it prompts me for the password and when I type it in nothing appears on the screen(sqlplusw.exe shows me asteriks). But if I do the same within the cygwin environment sqlplus shows me the password in clear text while typing it in. I don't like this especially when somebody is at my desk and I need to login to show him/her something...

Anybody an idea to solve this?

Thanks,
BR
Re: sqlplus shows password in clear text under cygwin [message #171014 is a reply to message #170510] Sun, 07 May 2006 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
I don't have Cygwin so I can't test this, but what if you do the following at the command prompt and then hit ENTER.

sqlplus /nolog

and then enter connect <username> and hit ENTER. You should be prompted for the password.

connect scott
Enter password:

Have you tried this method?
Re: sqlplus shows password in clear text under cygwin [message #171057 is a reply to message #171014] Mon, 08 May 2006 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hellcat
I've tried every possible connection method...the password always appears in clear text, even when using different shells (bash/sh)...

Re: sqlplus shows password in clear text under cygwin [message #171120 is a reply to message #171057] Mon, 08 May 2006 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
That's strange.

Are you allowed to create an OS Authenticated account in the database? That way you can connect without issuing a password.
Re: sqlplus shows password in clear text under cygwin [message #171132 is a reply to message #171120] Mon, 08 May 2006 10:18 Go to previous message
hellcat
Indeed, it's also strange to me!

No, can't create any accounts...

I guess it's something wrong in the cygwin/xterm config.

Thanks for your help.

Previous Topic: how to make a dump of the schema script and its data
Next Topic: Not loading correct information
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 09:38:39 CDT 2024