Home » RDBMS Server » Security » Non-schema owner default to schema
Non-schema owner default to schema [message #171137] Mon, 08 May 2006 11:39 Go to next message
TLegend33
Is there a way to have a user default to always select objects from another schema the user has been granted access too?

For example, our code connects directly to objects within the schema owners schema 'user1'. We'd like to create another user 'user2' that can access the user1 schema for security purposes. I can currently select objects from user1 as user2:

select name from user1.name_table;

Is there any way I can select these same objects from user1 as user2 without having to preface the object with the user1 schema name?

user1.object_name

I ask because it would create a significant rewrite of our application.

Thanks.
Re: Non-schema owner default to schema [message #171151 is a reply to message #171137] Mon, 08 May 2006 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
>>without having to preface the object with the user1 schema name?
You can use a synonym.
>>I ask because it would create a significant rewrite of our application.
Synonyms ***may*** create a significant drop in performance.
And for security purposes, username.object_name convention is better.

Re: Non-schema owner default to schema [message #171158 is a reply to message #171151] Mon, 08 May 2006 15:16 Go to previous message
TLegend33
If the synonym is not created PUBLIC, how would security be comprimised? How is the data more secure using the username.object_name convention?

Thanks!
Previous Topic: how to do Privileges in oracle??? help me
Next Topic: Transparent Data Encryption
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:33:48 CDT 2024