Home » Developer & Programmer » Application Express, ORDS & MOD_PLSQL » Dynamic PL/SQL Content
Dynamic PL/SQL Content [message #198399] Tue, 17 October 2006 01:17 Go to next message
rleishman
Does anyone know of a useful resource to learn how to use DYNAMIC PL/SQL CONTENT regions and APEX_... APIs?

I've been mucking about with the point-and-click bits of Application Express (HTML/DB) and want to take the next step.

I create a Dynamic PL/SQL Content region, which offers a dialog box to enter PL/SQL code. But what do I put in there? Presumably I use the APIs such as APEX_ITEM to generate forms controls and content, but how is that content then returned and rendered (not with a PL/SQL function RETURN clause - I tried...

The APEX documentation covers the syntax of all of the APIs, but does not tell you how to build dynamic content with them. It's also stonily silent on how to use the PL/SQL Dynamic Content regions.

Is there another resource - a differnt manual - that tells us how to do this?

Ross Leishman

Update: Found this. Any others?

Another Update: Seems like we use the HTP and HTF packages, but according to the Application Developers Guide:
Quote:
Documentation for these packages is not part of the database documentation library. The location of the documentation depends on the particular application server you are running. To get started with these packages, look at their procedure names and parameters using the SQL*Plus DESCRIBE command:

DESCRIBE HTP;
DESCRIBE HTF;
DESCRIBE OWA_UTIL;
So it looks like thats what I'll be doing. Any other source of info would be nice though ...

[Updated on: Tue, 17 October 2006 22:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Dynamic PL/SQL Content [message #204430 is a reply to message #198399] Mon, 20 November 2006 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
I haven't done it in Apex, but seems to me it's nothing more than generating your own html or javascript snippets - mostly using htp.p() which I've done a lot of. This INSN'T a great staring point (avoid PSP - they are too simplistic) but is worth a look:
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96590/adgweb.htm
http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/9i/PLSQLWebToolkit9i.php
Either you can use the specialized procedures/functions like HTP.formOpen, htp.formSubmit, htp.tableOpen etc - or just print the raw html using htp.p. Some examples attached. asktom is full of examples too.

Re: Dynamic PL/SQL Content [message #204462 is a reply to message #204430] Mon, 20 November 2006 20:36 Go to previous message
rleishman
Thanks, I'll look them over.
Previous Topic: Basics of application express
Next Topic: Login apex from jsp page
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:18:42 CDT 2024