Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » Voting Disk distributing in 10.2
Voting Disk distributing in 10.2 [message #199975] Fri, 27 October 2006 04:33 Go to next message
spanek
Hi,
following situation
RAC 3 nodes and a RAC 3 node Cluster working as Physical Standby in a other datacenter. Two Storage Boxes.
Now they Upgrade to 10.2 and will use 3 Voting disk and 2 OCR's.
OCR no problem.

Voting disk to distribute over two storage boxes means that one storage box keep two voting disks. If this datacenter crashes the whole cluster goes down.

Who had implemented a 10.2 RAC installation with 3 voting disks and how did you handle this issue?

regards
Re: Voting Disk distributing in 10.2 [message #204035 is a reply to message #199975] Fri, 17 November 2006 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
henderd
spanek wrote on Fri, 27 October 2006 10:33
Hi,
following situation
RAC 3 nodes and a RAC 3 node Cluster working as Physical Standby in a other datacenter. Two Storage Boxes.
Now they Upgrade to 10.2 and will use 3 Voting disk and 2 OCR's.
OCR no problem.

Voting disk to distribute over two storage boxes means that one storage box keep two voting disks. If this datacenter crashes the whole cluster goes down.

Who had implemented a 10.2 RAC installation with 3 voting disks and how did you handle this issue?

regards

Quick question, have you actually tried this?

If one datacenter goes down then the other one should grab the voting disk and continue on happily.

Also, you could increase the number of voting disks to 5? Don't think that will make any difference to this scenario though.

Let me know if I've misinterpreted what you are saying.

Thanks

DH
Re: Voting Disk distributing in 10.2 [message #204048 is a reply to message #204035] Fri, 17 November 2006 08:23 Go to previous message
spanek
Hi,
I think the problem is solved.
While they have an RAC primary and RAC standby the whole Storage must be on seperate boxes.

If the first RAC crashes it makes via Observer an failover to the Standby which is also an RAC. The voting can only be mirrored on the primary side over two boxes but i don't know if they have the possibility.

regards
Previous Topic: Incremental Version releases without redeploying the ear in 10gAs Server
Next Topic: Private Interconnect and DNS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 00:36:28 CDT 2024