Home » Other » Suggestions & Feedback » Lets make it a place to discuss
Lets make it a place to discuss [message #245206] Fri, 15 June 2007 07:59 Go to next message
gkrishn
Guys,
Just want to make a point about this forum.
In 'many' occasions i have observed 'SOME' people just post the website link and ask the requester to read the document.In a way it is good but not always.
Many who comes to forums are newbies or some one who are interested in hearing from experts.So the expectation will be a some practical scenarion others worked on or some useful tips.and it will be more useful(to all) when it goes to an open discussion .
My point is ... give website links as an additional information.
its not alwys good to give a website link and ask the users to 'GO AND READ' ,since anyone can get as many documents through google or metalink sites.

SO PLEASE MAKE FORUMs A PLACE FOR DISCUSSION.

Hope others also voice out their opinion.

Thanks

[Updated on: Fri, 15 June 2007 08:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Lets make it a place to discuss [message #245211 is a reply to message #245206] Fri, 15 June 2007 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Anyone that receives a link can post questions after.
When we post links, this is not to say that discussion is closed, this is to say "read that before and come back if you have any other questions".
But READ THAT BEFORE is a prerequisite. We can't discuss with someone that doesn't have the basic. We don't replace documentation.

Regards
Michel
Re: Lets make it a place to discuss [message #245493 is a reply to message #245211] Sun, 17 June 2007 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I support strongly Michel's comment. Many of the newbies want to be spoon-fed. I don't have the time or inclination to repeat myself ad nauseam. Why should we repost material that already exists on our website, either in the forums or in the FAQ files?

David
Re: Lets make it a place to discuss [message #245555 is a reply to message #245493] Mon, 18 June 2007 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
I totally agree with Michel and djmartin.
A lot of the posters don't come here to discuss about Oracle related stuff, they just want a solution for their problem, and they want it now.
In return, those people refuse to put effort in their posts, like decent formatting or preparing a decent testcase.

Having said that, I do understand the OPs point about the default answers of some. Too often people get a reply about not having provided their Oracle version (in FOUR decimals. When, except for bug-related stuff, would that ever be necessary!) or provided testdata.
After a day or so they return and provide the necessary info, and the answer ultimately is that they misspelled a keyword in their very first post...
Re: Lets make it a place to discuss [message #245578 is a reply to message #245555] Mon, 18 June 2007 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Too often people get a reply about not having provided their Oracle version (in FOUR decimals. When, except for bug-related stuff, would that ever be necessary!)

Analytical functions come with 8.1.6, so 8i is useless.
Streams comes with 9.2, so 9i is useless.
ALWAYS giving 4 decimals is a good rule, it avoids us to ask several times because, for this case, major version is not sufficient.

Quote:
or provided testdata

When someone ask for help for a (complex) query, why should we have to build a test case to help OP? If 10 persons want to correctly answer 10 persons have to build a test case and waste a time they can spend to search a solution. If OP build a test case not only he does not waste our time but often he can find a solution or correct the problem as there are often a flaw in the question.
In addition, this is also a requirement often asked. Post something on AskTom without a test case and you will get the answer (from memory):
- no create
- no insert
- no look

Quote:
After a day or so they return and provide the necessary info, and the answer ultimately is that they misspelled a keyword in their very first post...

And so if they make the effort to copy and paste their session and format it, they will avoid a useless topic.
Once again, I don't have to make effort to read scrambled SQL, I don't need to help OP, they need us, they have to make a little effort like reading the stickies before posting or helping us help them.

Just my opinion, it's up to every one to read scrambled SQL-PL/SQL and answer even after I asked to format it.

Regards
Michel
Re: Lets make it a place to discuss [message #245585 is a reply to message #245206] Mon, 18 June 2007 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gkrishn
here "THEY" reffers to many people .Many users will come and go everyday .Do you think its realy possible to impose such rules on all of them ?

My sugestion is to place a combo box for new posts.User will have the option to select version,OS, etc ....
Re: Lets make it a place to discuss [message #245599 is a reply to message #245585] Mon, 18 June 2007 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Do you think its realy possible to impose such rules on all of them ?

I think that some 100+ message posters don't even know they have to read the stickies, without speaking about the version.
I think repeating it to everyone is a good way to make this enter into their head especially if you don't answer their question until they do it. Twisted Evil

Quote:
My sugestion is to place a combo box for new posts.User will have the option to select version,OS, etc

I already asked to have something like that (a combo, a field...) but it seems it is not possible.

Regards
Michel
Re: Lets make it a place to discuss [message #245621 is a reply to message #245599] Mon, 18 June 2007 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
Asking for a four-decimal version if someone uses SELECT instead of SELECT INTO in pl/sql is what I mean.
It is good and logical if you ask for version numbers if specific issues are considered, like the ones you mention, or if you think of an answer regarding any version-specific functions.

The same goes for the testdata. I don't oppose to asking for testdata, it's just that these things should not become a 'default answer'.
It should depend on the question asked.

Quote:
Once again, I don't have to make effort to read scrambled SQL, I don't need to help OP, they need us, they have to make a little effort like reading the stickies before posting or helping us help them.

Indeed. You don't HAVE to do the effort. You can ignore posts that you think are too much effort. Either somebody else will answer, or the OP will return, which will be a good time to explain why he did not get an answer the first time.

Of course, this is just my opinion..

[Updated on: Mon, 18 June 2007 04:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Lets make it a place to discuss [message #247445 is a reply to message #245206] Mon, 25 June 2007 22:46 Go to previous message
Arju

I agree with Michel , Frank, Martin. This is a forum , a place of discussion. Not the right way to give solution.

Here I think everyone is serving self-service. Experts are here to make other one expert. You are not paying them. You cant expect a solution without reading the tutorial.
Previous Topic: New forum
Next Topic: Addition to http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/84315/74940/
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:15:05 CDT 2024