Home » Open Source » Programming Interfaces » JDBC Driver does not insert Euro Symbol correctly
JDBC Driver does not insert Euro Symbol correctly [message #261051] Tue, 21 August 2007 10:57
geomarsch
Hello,

at the moment it is impossible for me to write or read euro characters to a database using a jdbc thin driver.

I am using
ojdbc14.jar (version 10.2.0.3.0) and orai18n.jar (also) together with JDK 1.4.2.

Charset of the database is WE8MSWIN1252. It does not work on ORACLE 9.2.0.1, 9.2.0.6 and 10.2.0.2.0 (others I have not tried). But the problem seams to be in thin client.

Inserting Eurosymbols using a PreparedStatement works quite well. Using a normal Statement does not work.
Also the values getting from a ResultSet are incorrect.

After several test I downloaded a patch 4659157 for ojdbc14.jar and 5470375 for orai18n.jar. After installing the patch the euro characters were returned, but:
In several selects of numeric fields (not all, seams to be random) my resultset returned the Euro character instead of 0 and so on.

Driver for 9.2 works quite well, but does not support 10g Release 2 (and contains also some funny bugs)

Following solutions are not suitable for us:
Changing the character set of the database (come on, this cannot be serious. I cannot change the character set of more than 100 databases)
Using the newest driver (ORACLE 11). We are still using JAVA 1.4.2 and cannot migrate our application at the moment.
Using an oci client. Not possible, no ORACLE client on clients...

Has anyone an idea how to deal with this?
Does anyone know when ORACLE is going to release a new jdbc driver for JAVA 1.4.2 (maybe 10.2.0.4.) ??

Regards,

Christian
Previous Topic: Table Creating from Oracle/PHP HTML
Next Topic: Calling Data from Excel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:59:48 CDT 2024